From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel overload detection

Hi

I have the PXI-6281 and PXI-6123 which I am using to acquire data. How do I figure out in Labview if any of the channels have been overloaded? I could not find any information in the manuals for either of these devices. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,394 Views)

nsud,

Thank you for posting your question on the NI Forums. I am not quite sure what you mean by overloading a channel. I am assuming that you mean putting too much voltage into a channel. Both of the cards that you have are able to go from +10 to -10 Volts, but there is no way for LabVIEW to tell you that you are putting too much voltage into a channel. The behavior you will see is the channel railing to either +10 or -10 Volts depending on if your signal is over the positive or negative limit.

Aaron W.
National Instruments
CLA, CTA and CPI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,382 Views)

Thanks for the reply. I did mean what you thought. I was hoping that there would be a DAQmx property or something similar that I could query to check if the voltage into a channel is higher than what it has been set to acquire. Labview's help about DAQmx Read property mentions Status:OVERLOAD:Overloaded Channels Exist and Status:Overload:Overloaded Channels. But when I wire the read property node in the VI, I dont see those options. Hence the question. Do these cards not have the capability to check for overload?

Thanks

Sudarshan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,376 Views)

Sudarshan,

Upon looking into the Status Overload in the LabVIEW help, it is only available for our DSA (Dynamic Signal Analyzer) Cards. The reason you are not seeing that property when you place a DAQmx read property node is because LabVIEW will limit the properties available on the property node to the hardware that you are using, unless otherwise specified. So to answer your question, your cards are not able to check for overload. 

Aaron W.
National Instruments
CLA, CTA and CPI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,359 Views)