cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux support for VXI-PXI interface

I'm looking for VXI-PXI Linux driver. I found NI
have VXI-PCI Linux support, can I use the same driver
for NI's VXI-PXI product ? Will NI support VXI-PXI
Linux driver in the future, when ? Or where can I find the hardware information of NI VXI-PXI interface, so I can write a Linux driver by myself ? It's important
for me to decise whether I can use NI VXI-PXI product
for my project or not.

Thanks

Kuang-Chun Cheng
kccheng@openate.com
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,562 Views)
Kuang-Chun,

Thanks for using NI's Developer Exchange! I wanted to ask you a couple questions about your application. I am unsure what you are meaning by VXI-PXI support. Do you have a PXI-MXI-2 card and are trying to use this card to control a VXI chassis from a PXI chassis? If this is the case, the PCI-MXI-2 driver should work in your controller. If you are using this for a different application, please let me know, and I will research this further. Thanks.

Anthony Bacak
National Instruments
Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,562 Views)
Hi,

Thanks for reply. I don't have any card in hand,
I just re-view the spec. and try to figure out if
NI's product can be used for my application before I
order the card.

I want to control VXI modules through my PXI controller
(running RedHat 8.0). I found NI have VXI-PCI-MXI2
interface which have Linux driver. But I'm using PXI
controller for my application, so it looks like only
NI's VXI-PXI-MXI3 interface could be my candidate.
However, I can't find Linux driver for VXI-PXI-MXI3
interface ... that's why I ask here.

Thanks

Kuang-Chun Cheng
kccheng@openate.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,562 Views)
Kuang-Chun,

Now I believe that I understand your application, the answer really depends on which type of controller you are using. If you are using a National Instruments embedded controller, running Linux is not a supported application. If you are using a PCI-MXI-3 to control a PXI chassis from a Linux based computer, the PCI-MXI-2 driver will work with the PXI-MXI-2 card. I hope this helps! Please let me know if I can clarify this further for you.

Anthony Bacak
National Instruments
Applications Engineering
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,562 Views)
Hi Anthony,

That's what I thought 😞 I do need to control VXI
from PXI chassis instead of PC. So my question is
does NI have any plan to provide such driver in the
near future ? Or does NI release enough hardware
information of MXI-3 so I can write a driver by
myself ? The information I need will be PCI vender/device ID, register map and function
description of VXI-PXI-MXI3.

Thanks
KC
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,562 Views)
Actually the feature that is not supported with our hardware is using Linux as an OS on our controller. If you have this already running on your controller, it may actually be worth while to try installing the NI-VXI driver for Linux on our website. Just for clarification, you stated in your last response that you have MXI-3 and not MXI-2, our "MXI-3" cards do not require drivers, they function just as a PCI bridge, you will, however still need NI-VXI in order to run Resource Manager on your system.

Anthony
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,562 Views)