PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing IDL streaming for FlexRIO in python API

Hello,

I am using a 5764 FlexRIO digitizer to acquire pulse signals from other instruments.

For my project, I need to be able to implement everything in python, but the getting started examples for the 5764 uses IDL streams in their VIs.

Is it possible to utilize these IDL streams inside the python API, or is it limited to FIFO control like the API website says. If so, is there a efficient work around to acquiring signals?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,160 Views)

Regardless of deployment, my recommendation is to always develop using LabVIEW and LabVIEW FPGA.  This allows you to better test and validate the bitfile created.  The debug tools in LabVIEW are more comprehensive.

For deployment, see https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Linux-Real-Time-Discussions/Introducing-the-FPGA-Interface-Python-API/td...

I am aware of the FlexRIO IDLs being used but not sure if they have python equivalents.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,157 Views)

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your response.

I typically develop/debug using labview and then transfer over to python. For example, I am using a 7976R for pulse generation and have successfully implemented that with the nifpga API. I am familiar with the link you posted, however they only seem to go as far as allowing implementation of a FIFO. I couldnt find any support for IDLs.

I guess my question really is: is it possible to implement a simple acquisition without all the IDL implementation in these FlexRIO devices? That would make it usable with the python API.

Sincerely,

Dorino

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,146 Views)

Can you expand on your steaming needs?

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,129 Views)

Hi Terry,

That's the thing, I'm not really sure if I need streaming. The shipped example included the streaming implementation.

Essentially, I need the 5764 to start acquiring after receiving a trigger and then the host VI to read the acquired signal. I couldn't find any simplified examples, so I am trying to build up piece-by-piece with the FIFO. It's my first time working with concepts like this, so I wasn't exactly sure what was necessary and what could be removed (such as the stream portions).

Thanks,

Dorino

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,125 Views)

All four channels at their full rate of 1 GS/second?  How long is the acquisition after a trigger?  Any pre-trigger?  Built in level trigger is ok?

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,121 Views)

Hi Terry,

Currently, I am only using one AI channel @ 1GS/s, acquisition is typically 2-3 us after a trigger. No pre-triggers. I am trying to use a digital edge (rising) trigger to initiate acquisition.

Sincerely,

Dorino

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,116 Views)

The read API function is pulling from the example's DMA-FIFO.  Could you remove that function and instead call a read FIFO (from the Host)?

ALE Consultants

Message 8 of 11
(1,093 Views)

Hi Terry,

I apologize for the late reply. 

Ultimately, I don't really need the waveform transferred to the host, I just need to acquire the data on the AI channel, perform some control logic, and output the number of times the acquired signal rises above a certain voltage level. This means I don't really the API, and if I wanted to read the data on the host, I could definitely use the FIFO like you suggested.

I'm slowly figuring out how to work around the IDL and realizing what I don't need.

Thank you for you helpful input.

Dorino

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,063 Views)

It is tricky.  When using these cards, we mostly built our own FPGA and Host code.  Sometimes we did have to go back to the shipping example to understand things such as TClk.

Is this for only one card with no plans for more cards or multi-card synchronization?

ALE Consultants

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,058 Views)