From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Error: Error reading Ethernet Configuration File

Hello everyone,

I deleted by mistake some files from my PXI. Now I cannot boot my PXI properly. I always get a error message as " Error reading Ethernet Configuration File c:\ni-rt\...". I wish I could format my PXI from the MAX but as long as the ethernet doesn't work I cannot communicate it on Windows. The only thing I can do is to start the Bios Setup pressing F10 when the PXI starts. 

What is the fastest and less traumatic way to restore my PXI?

Thanks,

Juan Carlos 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(6,275 Views)

Enter the BIOS, and set the LabVIEW Boot Configuration to "LabVIEW RT Safe Mode" - that will prevent the system from booting the software on the controller, and will instead boot into Safe Mode.  Then you can reinstall software on the RT controller via MAX, and after reinstalling software you can change the LabVIEW Boot configuration back to "LabVIEW RT".

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(6,272 Views)

Hello Danny,

Thanks for your answer. I tried what you said, but even doing that I cannot see my PXI from the MAX. I think it is because I deleted one file requiered to perform the ethernet connection.  The best option I see is to format my PXIe-8108 directly from the BIOS, but I don't know yet how to do this.

Thanks again,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(6,270 Views)

You can't format the PXI controller from the BIOS.  

After setting the PXI controller into Safe Mode, and rebooting the controller, did your PXI controller get an IP address?  Was the IP address a valid DHCP IP address, or was it in the form 169.254.xxx.yyy?

Is your system with MAX on the subnet that the controller is on?  MAX can only see devices within the same subnet as the PC MAX is running on, unless you manually create an entry in MAX for the remote target on an external subnet.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(6,268 Views)

Hello,

I got the  IP Address  169.254.115.81/16. If I press Refresh on MAX  my device still doesn't appear. I tried to create a new device using the options: FieldPoint Ethernet, Remote Device and Remote VISA System, but in all cases the MAX was unable to find the PXI.

I was thinking about formating the PXI by using a USB memory.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(6,262 Views)

Hello,

I got the  IP Address  169.254.115.81/16. If I press Refresh on MAX  my device still doesn't appear. I tried to create a new device using the options: FieldPoint Ethernet, Remote Device and Remote VISA System, but in all cases the MAX was unable to find the PXI.

I was thinking about formating the PXI by using a USB memory.

Regards,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(6,262 Views)

Juan Carlos,

169.254.115.81 is a bogus IP address; it's in the "Link Local" range, which basically means the network subsystem "gave up" trying to communicate with a DHCP server and instead issued a link-local IP address in case the network topology you have is using Link Local addressing (the vast majority do not).  

Does this PXI controller have multiple network interfaces?  You want to make sure you plug the ethernet into Port 1 on the controller if so, because the networking on a PXI controller is NOT redundant; you cannot just "use any network interface" - Safe Mode is configured to use Port 1 exclusively.

-Danny

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(6,251 Views)

Hello,

I checked what you said, but my PXI only has one Ethernet interface. I don't know what else to try.

Thanks,

Juan Carlos

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,221 Views)