From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

PXI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6570 pin is loading loading DUT pin that is generating data

I'm trying to capture data from device using 6570
When I connect a DUT pin to 6570 DIO2, the output waveform changes and the amplitude decreases

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(847 Views)

There are a lot of possible scenarios and the most common one is user error in setting up the pin-state in the pattern. Without more details about the pattern, what DUT is, how it is connected etc., not much guidance can be provided.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(828 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

The pin state is in attached diagram

No pattern is running.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(821 Views)

Please share more details about the DUT and what makes you think that the DUT pin was loaded and what you mean by observe lower amplitude.

Without much information, the problem is definitely one of the following,

1. You've configured the instrument incorrectly
  2. Your hardware connections or circuit is incorrect
  3. You have misunderstood your DUT or the instrument and hence leading to unrealistic expectations
Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(806 Views)

Attaching waveforms of signal out from DUT (yellow channel)

Out of the 2 waveforms, one has lower amplitude and looks like doesn't have enough settle time due to high rise/fall times

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(801 Views)

Few more questions,

• When you say disconnected - what does it mean? did you disconnect the cable at the connector of 6570?
  • What is the drive strength of the DUT and the max bus capacitance it can drive?
  • What is the capacitance of the bus (cabling and circuits) until the connector of 6570?

Some more background, some protocols require a limited bus capacitance, for example, the I2C protocol requires the bus capacitance to be <400pF, beyond 400pF the device cannot drive and will potentially not operate properly. Note that any additional PCB trace or coaxial cable adds capacitance to the bus.

I see that the DPI Pin is not loaded because, in your pin state image, you can clearly measure ~3.5V (PPMU pane) which matches with your unloaded scope image. My take is that the DPI by itself did not load the signal but your device may not be able to operate at high speed with the bus capacitance you current have.

Embedding your images for easy reference for others.

Pin State - idle

santo_13_0-1659881896204.png

Pin connected

santo_13_1-1659881909959.png

Pin disconnected

santo_13_2-1659881920545.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(797 Views)

Hi Santhosh,

Here's my response to queries

• When you say disconnected - what does it mean? did you disconnect the cable at the connector of 6570? - I'm using VHDCI Flying leads cable. I disconnect the DPI pin from berg pin on DUT board
  • What is the drive strength of the DUT and the max bus capacitance it can drive? - DUT can drive 25pF at 25MHz. Trace cap on board for the pin is ~15pF
  • What is the capacitance of the bus (cabling and circuits) until the connector of 6570? ~15pF
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(786 Views)