NI VeriStand Add-Ons Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-Switch Relay Add-On Feedback

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for the response. I've just had another try & got it working. I think there were 2 reasons. Firstly I had put the source folder in as well and secondly I'd tried to put the custom device within <Custom devices>\National Instruments folder rather than within the <Custom devices> folder directly. Now I've followed the instructions to the letter it is working properly.

On a different note, could you guide me though the process of adding other board types. Is it simply a matter of modifying "NI-Switch Initialisation VI.vi" and editing the items in the "Topology Name" combo box?

(I saw your reply about just typing it in above, I'd just like to make this a little less error prone).

Thanks,

Graham.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 85
(4,915 Views)

Great!

Yes that would be the process. I actually don't recommend editing it though... instead just recreate the control from the NI-Switch driver. It will have the latest values.

Which ones are you missing? I can update the custom device

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 85
(4,915 Views)

PXI-2522 (53ch SPDT) is the one I'm after. If you'd be so kind as to update the ZIP that would be great.

Thanks,

Graham.

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 85
(4,915 Views)

Done!

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 85
(4,915 Views)

Hello,

I have just downloaded the new NI-Switch Addon for veristand (v1.0.1) as I originally has v1.0 and it would not support the 2816 cards I am using.

However the new version has a fundamental error in the design;

Veristand Switch 1.0.1 Issue.png

Instead of the resource name being connected to the NI switch VI it has a constant with no contents. This would be the reason why, no matter what resource name I enter into the box it cannot find it.

I have tried to re-build this myself but the source files are only for a version of labview greater than 2012, which I have.

Could you please rectify the issue and also include some support for the 2800 series NI-Switch cards within the Add-on.

This solution is required for a high profile aerospace application and your haste on providing a solution will not go unnoticed by our end customer.

Kind Regards

Tom Horsfall

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 85
(4,915 Views)

Hi Tom,

that blank string is actually there on purpose. We just use that API call to simulate a switch of the given topology so we can get the relay names. By using a blank string we don't clutter up MAX with a bunch of simulated devices. Also if you had the actual switch in your windows computer, we couldn't make the simulated one and it would error. So that isn't a bug

the source is posted in a zip labeled "source_2011" and you should be able to open it just fine. I don't think you need to though because it should work with out modifications

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 85
(4,915 Views)

Stephen,

Thanks for quick response!

Your statement makes sense to me.

Can you explain how I use the custom device for my application?

I have a 2800 with a 2816A and 2816B card in a remote PXI rack that is running labview Realtime / Veristand.

I have tried adding the device using your custom device and get the following errors;

Veristand Err 2.png

I have also tried using simulated devices on my PC and get errors;

Veristand Err.png

I do not believe that I am naming the device incorrectly and as the listings have no 2816/1-Wire 8x46 Matrix configuration I either have to type that in OR use configured Topology.

Can you please advise how to add a 2816A and 2816B to my Veristand project using your drivers??

Also the issue with the project is the build specifications have '?' symbols and do not open or allow building so not quite sure whats going on there, but will try re-downloading the project now and see the result.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 85
(4,915 Views)

Hi Tom,

This custom device is the switch relay device, so it only supports switches with relays. Sorry for the confusion. To use your switch, you will need a different, or modified version of this custom device.

Take care,    

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 85
(4,915 Views)

Hi Stephen,

I have managed to get this driver working with the 2800 Switch Block and 2816 Boards.

I modified what you had to connect the resource control to the initialise VI as I stated in a previous post.

As you said this DOES require a simulated 2800 with the 2816 cards within MAX, however as you can simulate this and it takes no time at all it isnt much of an issue. Then when you have created the custom devices these can be deleted.

This has now given me access to all my 2816 devices within veristand including all the 375 relays available, which are all operating as expected.

The modified version is attached and at the moment only had the card I have used (NI 2816A/B) added to the Topology listings.

Unfortunately I do not have the time available to inlcude the listings for all the extra 2800 series cards to allow others to also use this, however with what I have done and some clear instructions about simulating devices on the development PC im sure you could expand on what I have done and make a custom device that is capable of being able to work with all the NI-Switch series cards. In addition if a simulated device is required for a particular card im sure it wouldnt be too much effort to get the labview VI to ask the user the device required, create the simulated device in max, do the operations in the custom device and finally delete the simulated device, all transparent to the user.

If you require any information please dont hesistate to contact me.

Cheers

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 85
(4,915 Views)

Hi Tom,

Thank you for the follow up. This is enlightenting.

It appears from the error that NI-Switch throws with a blank resource string and a switch block topology selected:

Error -1074118638 occurred at niSwitch Initialize With Topology.vi

Possible reason(s):

Model code specified in the driver setup string is ambiguous.  Multiple switches match the specified model code.

Status Code: -1074118638

That a single switchblock toplogy could apply to multiple different model code's. Like a 2816A or 2816B. So it doesn't know how to simulate the device like it does with all the others (with just the toplogy). I've asked our NI-Switch R&D:

1. How to specify the model code when making this API call so I don't have to use any MAX stuff.
  2. Why the switchblock toplogies are not inside the toplogy combo box string.

When I get those I think I can get this working without any MAX interaction. I'll let you know

Stephen B
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 85
(4,915 Views)