NI VeriStand Add-Ons Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom VeriStand Steps for TestStand Feedback

Hey Andreas,

Are you using TestStand 2010? A couple of people have had this problem with 2010.  I use TestStand 2012 and Win 7 x64 without issue.  Going forward I plan on only supporting TestStand 2012 since it is difficult to get the steps to save correctly for previous versions of TestStand.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 41 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Yes, I used 2010 SP1 since I have another software component needing it

Andreas Stark
LabVIEW Lead @ Rocket Factory Augsburg
0 Kudos
Message 42 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I have just installed Custom Veristand Steps AddON and tried it

Unfortunately, i can't see tab "specify module" in the Step Settings (NI Testand 2012) for all step.

I looked at NI_VerostandTypes.ini>>Properties, and on "Disable Properties" tab, Specify Module option is unchecked. So, in my opinion i shall be able to see specify module when inserting add-on step and work with them.

Here what happen when i run my test program.

VeristandAddOn.PNG

If "specify module" is disabled on purpose, how can i pass the parameter between steps?

Thank you for your help, Kevin..

Rajamodol

0 Kudos
Message 43 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Rajamodol,

In my opinion, it's definitively a good thing that there is no 'Specify Module' tab for this Custom Step Type. Please take a look on the Table 1, on this page: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/8300/en#toc1

Default Code Module is NOT a shared property of a step. So every instance of a Step has it own properties saved where they are instantiated. It is perfect for Step settings, but it has enormous drawback for Code Module. If code Module is used to define behavior at execution, when Kevin will release a new version of the steps, you will have to edit every sequences you've already wrote with the previous version of VeriStand steps - because this configuration is saved in your sequences.

Take a look at the step type definition, SubStep are used instead of default module . As Sub-Steps are shared properties, every instance of a step will use the current step definition (substep are not saved in sequences). It allows evolution of the step type definition/behavior, by changing the PostStep code module for instance, without changing your sequence...  Much better in terms of evolutivity don't you think?

Step configuration dialog boxes should be sufficient to configure step, including passing/retrieving parameters...

This does no explain why TestStand Analyser returns errors.

Best regards,

Mathieu.

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Hey Rajamodol,

In addition to what Mathieu has stated, all inputs and outputs are to each step are stored as step parameters which are still accessible at run time:

runtimevariables.png

As for the local variable errors you are seeing - while most variables are included in steps certain variables are used throughout the sequence and are stored in Locals.Veristand.  These are things like the workspace reference or system definition path which are used by several steps.  These variables get created by the config steps of either Start Veristand or Open Project.  If you run the config steps of those steps those sequence analyzer errors should go away.  Post back if you continue to see issues or have any additional questions.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 45 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Hi Matthieu,

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your explanation.

Kevin, what do you mean with "  If you run the config steps of those steps those sequence analyzer errors should go away."?  Which config steps?

If i open e.g., StartVeristand Properties>Substeps>Specify Module, i have an error in the expression.

VeristandAddOn2.PNG

Container Locals.Veristand[] is there in my project. But substep in type definition cannot find it. How to make them work?

Thank you again for your help,

Rajamodol

0 Kudos
Message 46 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Hy Rajamodol

I too have encountered your problem

Into custom step Type, types: NI:VeristandTypes.ini, for every step I have verify the property of Substeps, during open Specify module...., there was assembly voice, not founded es:NationalInstruments.Veristand.VeristandSteps(1.0.0.1)

I created in a local container VeriStand and inserted the data type required.

you can open and expand the types crcare fields VeriStand their contents and copy them to the local.

However, I am attaching a file.seq with the local VeriStand to copy and paste to your file

https://sites.google.com/site/sharfilesdado/system/app/pages/admin/attachments

I hope you can help you.

By Davide

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Hi Davide,

thanks for your info. Unfortunately, i cannot download your file attachment. I don't have any access. Could you please send it to me via email? Check your PM/Inbox please.

Thank you,

Rajamodol

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Hey Rajamodol,

This is the initialization button I was referring to:

initializebutton.png

It is on the config pane of the step.  Anything in local variables will not show up when you browse to the custom step type so it will appear to be broken in that view but if you hit this button the variables you need will be created in your sequence.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 202
(4,304 Views)

Hi Kevin,

I have clicked it.. as mentioned, i have already Locals.Veristand in local variables.

When i run the program, Veristand was opened properly, on the next step, i have got this error message:

VeristandAddOn3.PNG

I checked to properties>substep>setboolean(specify module), everything is fine there. Any other clue?

Thank you again,

Rajamodol

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 202
(4,304 Views)