NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

excel database

Hello,

I was trying to use an excel database instead access and i´m having problems.

First in the ODBC, in DNS-user, I create a new source using "Microsoft Excel Driver (*xls)".

Then, in TestStand, in Database options,

• Data Link Options>"Database Management System" which one should I select, SQL_Server????
  • Build>Provider, which type should I select?? Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers??

Then, in Schemas, which one should I use, because when I validate I´m getting error in all of them (-2146825037)

Also whe i execute the sequence I´m getting errors (Step 'Log Results to Database' of sequence 'LogToDatabase' in 'NI_DatabaseLogger.seq')

Could you please help me with this??

Thanks so much and best regards!!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,391 Views)

Excel is not a database. It's a spreadsheet program. The microsoft suite item that's similar is Access.

If you want to record your data into excel, you can, but the database plugin isn't going to work for you. You'd have to create your own result processing tool.

You can also attempt to use Access (or any of the other listed Database Management Systems) if you want. They can be nicely setup with scripts provided with TestStand's install and thus able to record data quickly.

Certified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpgCertified_TestStand_Architect_rgb.jpg

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Bernard Books

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,387 Views)

Thanks for your fast answer.

I need to use excel, thats because I was trying to used it as database.

I was also trying to read/write with ActiveX, but I´m not able to configure it.

Could you please send me any example or how can I do this??

Thanks and best regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,382 Views)

We''re gonig to get into a lot of advance topic if you are required to use excel.

1) You'll need to create a report plugin

2) It needs to process the results container for your specific information you want and write into an excel sheet.

3) I'll defer how you write contents into excel to Microsoft as they defined the API. 

I'd start with the very basics. Can you write content to excel. Once you have that figured out. I'd then move that function into a sequence that generates some of the data you expect and then attempt to parse the result container to get to the data you need. It will need to account for a lot of variation of how the sequence is structures and possibly lines omitted. Once this is accomplished, it's only a simple step to move it to a plugin.

Good Luck.

I'm sorry, I can't provide examples, all the material I have are proprietary.

Certified-LabVIEW-Architect_rgb.jpgCertified_TestStand_Architect_rgb.jpg

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Bernard Books

Message 4 of 8
(4,377 Views)

Also, it is vital that you understand how report generation in TestStand works.  This is a great comprehensive article: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/8289/en/

Cheers,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,373 Views)

Thanks so much for your help.

I already read the report generation article.

I was also able to perform a simple report, using the Report Options and using "ASCII Text File" format,and in "report file pathname" specify a Fixed File path.csv

But what I want to do is to write the data in a specific excel cells and with this method is not posible,

Also I found an example (ExcelExample.seg) using ActiveX, but I dont know how to configure "Get command array from excel sheet"

What should I select in Automation Server?: "Microsoft Excel 10.0 Object Library??

and How works the Object reference? How I configure the path of my excel file??

Is there any document explaining all these "Automation Server" types and "Object Class"?

I found also another example more completed (ExcelExample2.seq) but in this one I´m getting the following error (An error occurred calling 'Add' in 'Workbooks' of 'Microsoft Excel 14.0 Object Library')

Also I dont understand what is the parameter Icid and how can i indicate the path of my excel file.

Could you please help me with these??

thanks so much in advance!!!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,364 Views)

I faced the same problem and waiting for a reply hopefully

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,320 Views)

Can you post a link to the page where you found those examples?

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,311 Views)