cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Control Software with Teststand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to create sequences that will open my company control software and read and write to the control software. I'm fairly new to TestStand and I can't figure out how to get started with this task. 

For example, I would like TestStand to change modes of the software, input data and retreive data from the software, etc. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks, Jon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,365 Views)

Jon,

what control software are you talking about? SAP?

TestStand most likely cannot directly interact with that software. I recommend you to really dig into TestStand and learn how to implement custom step types (for something like property loader) and custom report plugins (writing test results back to the 'control software').

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,361 Views)

Hi Norbert,

No, the control software is not SAP. It's basically a GUI for a NI I/O controller programmed in labview. What would custom step types and custom report plugins do?

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,351 Views)

If the 'control application' is custom implemented, i hope you have information about the API.

If so, you can create modules which use the API to communicate with that software and call these from TS.

Custom step type is useful to provide general (company standardized) functionality for sequence developers.

Custom report plugin is used to write test results to a proprietary format like custom file formats (e.g. Excel) or conrol external applications for passing data.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,335 Views)

Yes, it is custom implemented. The developer of the application works in the office with me so I will have access to the information about the API. 

When you say "create modules which use the API to communicate with the software and call these from TS" what would the modules be created in? labview?

Thank you for helping me out with this. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,332 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JLW186

These could be written in LV, yes.

However, you have to take care about 'application instances' and select proper communication methods.

I do recommend to implement an TCP based interface because this works best for most use-cases. Other approaches are possible, but potentially require project specific special-purpose solutions. Experience show that these special solutions most often require a deeper knowledge and understanding of tools and technologies.

Norbert
Message 6 of 7
(3,329 Views)

Yes, I will be using TCP/IP for communication. 

So I'm guessing my best plan will be to create modules/VI in Labview which use the API to communicate (read/write) with the software and call the modules/VI from Teststand. 

I'm new to labview/teststand so hopefully I will be able to pick this up fairly quick.

-Jon

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,325 Views)