From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TESTSTAND & LabVIEW executable interaction

Hello,

I have labview executable application, it has some drivers that are accessed by queues inside program. I want to use teststand and call these drivers. What would be the correct approach? From what I understand we can not acces labview functions from another application instance and expose queues etc.

My idea was to add network communication to each driver like tcp or network streams so teststand functions can connect to driver and retrieve some data. But this will have some overhead and will be much slower than accessing queue or some global variable directly from LV.

Do You have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,714 Views)

Hi,

well there ary multiple ways how ot do that. For example you can enable ActiveX server for you executable and after that you can use build-in ActiveX API on the TestStand side to interface directly you LV executable.

Regards,

Ondřej K.

CLA, CTA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,669 Views)

So By ActiveX I will be able to acces into labview queue and therefore request some actions on that driver? What are other commonly used options?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,651 Views)

Well application instance have protected memory scope so other options are network communication or some sort of communication daemon compiled as .net library created in LabVIEW or MS Visual Studio (this solution will be very difficult to debug and maintain). I believe making your own ActiveX API which will provide public access methods to interface your app from TS sound like a good idea. Or you can do it other way round - calling and controlling TestStand from your LV application using TS API.

Regards,

Ondřej K.

NIEE AE

CLA, CTA, CLED
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,645 Views)