NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys. I'm trying to learn Teststand, so please sorry if I do newbie questions.

First of all I saw that if I do a Pass/Fail Test I got a report, instead with a normal action I haven't. The problem is that if the test fails, I have a detailed report with the variables I want to see, instead if the test pass I don't see anything in the report, none of the variables I set as additional results is shown. Does exist a way to see the results if the test pass?

As you can see from the file, one of the output is the status_test. Is it possible to use this value to set the result of the Pass/Fail Test of testand?
I mean if you check the data source pane, I have this expression !Step.Result.Error.Occurred . What I want is to set directly the result of status_test, is it possible?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,421 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author inuyasha84

Hey inuyasha84,

If you're only seeing the test results when your test fails, it is possible that the report options are set to only show failing results. To check this, you can go to Configure > Result Processing, and click the Options button next to Report. Then, on the Contents tab, you'll see a Result Filtering Expression in the middle of the dialog. Is this set to "Exclude Passed/Done/Skipped"? If so, try changing it to "All Results".

As for the status of your Pass/Fail test, you can set the Data Source Expression in the step settings to any value you want. This will cause the pass/fail test to look at that value to determine the test status. In your case, there should be no problem with using the status_test return value. However, I'd accomplish this in the following way:

1) Set Data Source Expression to: Step.Result.PassFail

2) In the Parameters section of the Module tab, set the Value of the status_test parameter to: Step.Result.PassFail

This PassFail container is the normal place where the result of a Pass/Fail test is stored, so it makes sense to use this property.

Let us know if we can do anything else to help out! 

Message 2 of 7
(4,406 Views)

the status_test I arrived to the result by myself. I used the same procedure but with a different "path". In fact I used Step.Result.Error.Occurred. What is the difference between your solution and the mine? I mean the difference between Step.Result.Error.Occurred and Step.Result.PassFail.

About the first question, you helped me a lot. It was driving me crazy. So thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,392 Views)

Usually, the Step.Result.Error container is used to hold error information from the step--for example, if the test was unable to execute correctly because a hardware resource wasn't available or communication with an instrument failed. You generally want to have this information separate from whether your test passed or failed, because an error doesn't necessarily tell you that your UUT failed the test--it just tells you that there was some kind of problem performing the test.

So basically, the difference is that Step.Result.PassFail is used to store the test results while Step.Result.Error is used to store information about whether the test was performed properly.

Glad the report is working well now! Let us know if you have any more questions about it.

Message 4 of 7
(4,374 Views)

Hi Daniel. Thank you for the explanation and sorry if I'm boring you but I have one more question: where can I find/read these informations that you have written?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,360 Views)

Hey inuyasha84,

I found this Help document about some of the result properties that are common to all steps, and what their purposes are: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052M-01/tsfundamentals/infotopics/custom_result_props/

And the TestStand Help has a page for each step type which gives information about result properties specific to that step. For example, the Pass/Fail Test step page is here: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052M-01/tsref/infotopics/test_step_types_pf_test/

Hope that helps!

Message 6 of 7
(4,354 Views)

Thank you Daniel 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,343 Views)