NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way I can convert a Test stand sequence and corresponding vi's to an executable?

I need some creative ideas on how I can convert a test stand sequence into an executable in the shortest possible time. I know that beats the entire purpose of using TestStand but I need to have a way to do this. Is there no other way i can accomplish this without writing a sequencer in LabVIEW and rewriting all of my code in LabVIEW??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,294 Views)

There is no way i know or can think of to move all components from a TestStand application into a single EXE. Running TS in an application means that you should/must work highly unitized during developement and deployment.

In general:

-> Custom UI will become "The EXE" for the enduser. This involves the link for startup on desktop/start menu.

-> TS Engine, ActiveX Server, will be attached to the UI.EXE OS process when launched by the UI. Will never be part of the UI.EXE.

-> TS Compontens (e.g. process model, language files, ..). Will never be part of the UI.EXE.

-> Custom Components (e.g. modified process model components, reporting, ...). Very unlikely(never) to become part of the UI.EXE.

-> Custom Sequences. Will never be part of the UI.EXE, but extension can be changed to other than .seq.

-> Code modules called by custom sequences. Unlikely (but possible) to be part of the UI.EXE. Should be implemented and tested to run within the RTE (runtime engine) of the appropriate programming language. It is not par design, that the deployment system has the development environment of that programming language installed.

-> License information. TS requires at least the Base Deployment License installed and activated (requires NI License Manager software). RTE of modules might also include licensing and possibly activation fees.

Why is there the requirement to have a single, monolythic EXE (hard to handle!) at all? If it is about the deployment process, you know that you can provide a single MSI (Microsoft Installer) with all required components using the TestStand Deployment Utility?

hope this helps,
Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,282 Views)

Thanks Norbert.. Didn't know about the deployment utility so thanks for that 🙂

We used Teststand to develop something quickly and support flexibility but don't want to give up the source code (IP concerns).

From what you said, it seems like the only way would be to build a sequencer in LabVIEW and move out of TestStand.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,218 Views)

You can either password protect the VIs during the build, or additionally remove the block diagrams.  I have not tried either of these options but they may provide some additional security if you are worried about having VIs on a customers system.

Thanks,

PH

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,213 Views)