NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TestStand 2012 Newbee Question: How do I pass a string from a VI to TestStand to control sequence flow?

Solved!
Go to solution

I want to use a Combo Box (or similar control)  in a VI to select from a list of strings to direct execution in TestStand.

• How do I connect the selected string in the combo box to the output terminal of the VI so I can see it in TestStand?
  • What do I use as the "value" in TestStand module parameter to retreive the result of this VI?

I tried "wiring" the result of the combo box directly to an output terminal without sucess.

I tried "wiring" the output of the combo box to a string variable then wiring that variable to an output terminal without success.

(see attached files)

Can anyone give me an example of a VI that will select from a list of strings: {"Bob", "Mary", "Bill", "Jennifer",...} using a

combo box (or similar) control and routing the selected string to the output terminal?

Also, how do I reference that parameter (result) from within TestStand?

This is a simple task, and there may be a TestStand only solution, I am looking for a simple way to direct sequence execution by the operator selecting a string from a list.

I researched this problem but could only find canned instances of numeric or string comparisons, and could not find a generic template that would return a string result from a VI to TestStand.

Thanks in advance for suffering through this fundamental question.

David

Melbourne, Florida

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,271 Views)

I can't open your VI, but I've set up a simple example (sequence + vi).

Hope this helps,

Marco

Download All
Message 2 of 5
(3,262 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dk-info

Marco beat me but here's my rendition. TS 2010, LV 2011

Also, look at the demo example that ships with TestStand:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 2010 SP1\Examples\Demo\LabVIEW\Computer Motherboard Test

It should demo a version of what you want.

Cheers,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Download All
Message 3 of 5
(3,256 Views)

Thank you for the example, it does exactly what I needed!

David

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,253 Views)

This forum is working well. Thank you to all who take the time to point the newbee in the right direction. It is great to "look over the shoulder" of experienced developers. I hope to be in a position to return the favor soon!

David Wurmfeld,

Melbourne, Florida

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,250 Views)