From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to include a TestStand sub-sequence as a step in the insertion palette?

Solved!
Go to solution

Let us say I have a sequence file with a Sub-Sequence, Sequence_x, which has 4 parameters. I want to include this subsequence as a step in the insertion palette. How do I do it? (I have TestStand 2017). 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,465 Views)

Hi Ashwin, 

Add the seqeunce to the tempelates found in the lower left corner of the sequence editor. That sequence will be available now for all or your sequence files on that station for that version. See template list in Insertion Palette Pane Help.

Thanks,

Roxy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,442 Views)

Hi Roxy,

Thanks for the reply. I intentionally mentioned Insertion Palette because my use case involves dropping the sub-sequence as a step without creating a sub-sequence in my calling sequence.

I want my sub-sequence to be single sourced and I want to be able to drop it in my code as a step. A sub-sequence in Templates adds a new sub-sequence. That was my initial approach as well.

Thanks,

Ashwin

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,435 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ashwincirruslogic

Hi Ashwin, 

Creating a custom step type then is the way to go. In MyTypes.ini you can add a step type, right click and go to properties. In properties, you can designate the sequence call adapter on the General tab as such:

Capture.PNG

If you click on the default modules, you'll have the ability to specify a sequence call that you would like to use as the default option for this step. Given that it is in MyTypes.ini, it'll be available to all sequences. 

Note - I would read the article for best practices for custom step types (linked right above). There can be many unwanted issues such as type viruses that can be avoided with diligent development and awareness of how types work in TestStand. 

Thanks!

Roxy

Message 4 of 5
(2,414 Views)

Thanks Roxy!

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I tried creating the custom step and got it working! (Now onto creating a deployment mechanism arghh..)

Thanks,

Ashwin

Message 5 of 5
(2,409 Views)