From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment of Shared Variable Failed

Solved!
Go to solution

I have created an installer for my TestStand program.  It consists of many LabVIEW modules, none of which are executables.  I have deployed it to a machine with the full version of TestStand, but only a run-time LabVIEW engine (included in the installer).  NI Variable Engine has also been included, although I can't find where it actually installed.  When I run the TestStand program, I receive the following error:

Unable to located variable in the shared variable engine.  Deployment of this variable may have failed.

I see several possible issues I need help working through.

1.  Does each LabVIEW module need to be made into executable form with "Deploy All" selected for the shared variables?

2.  Why can't I find NI Variable Engine on the deployment machine even though it is included in the installer?

3.  Based on the error, it looks like it found the shared variable engine, just not the particular variable.  Is this a correct assumption?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,766 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author bjenkins

Hi,

Who's responsible for deploying the shared variables ?

You can do it in several ways :

1. Add a deploy step into your sequence (I would do it as soon as possible in my test sequence, even in the process model if necessary)
  2. Set your LabVIEW adapter to auto-deploy shared variables found in the LV modules : to check if it is enabled, go to Configure -> Adapters... -> Choose the LV adapter and enter inot the settings pane -> at the bottom of the panel there are check boxes that you can check to auto-deploy/undeploy shared variables
CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,752 Views)

That is a good question.  I was assuming they were already deployed (I am working on someone else's code, so I'm having to learn the ins and outs).  I am using TestStand 4.2 (can't upgrade due to deployment requirements) and it doesn't have the option to auto-deploy variables in the adapter configuration.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,747 Views)

Can you give an example of how to create a deploy step?  Or point me in the correct direction of an online resource?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,745 Views)

Hi,

I don't know about TS 4.2, but in more recent versions of TS, the deployement is just a step that you can find in your Insertion Palette !

It is placed in the 'LabVIEW Utility' section and it is called 'Deploy Library'.

With tha step you can deploy/undeploy your SVs pointing on the lvlib containing your variables.

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,742 Views)

Found it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,739 Views)