NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment Problems

Hi,

I am struggling to deploy a system to another PC.  I do not understand which files to deploy and am having errors come up when the deploy is attempted.

My development machine has Teststand 2017 on it.  The target machine has Teststand 2016 SP1 Deployment I believe on it - or it at least shows up in the NI license manager.  I can't find any way to open it otherwise - it does not seem to exist as a program on the target machine.  Is this normal?

I have created a workspace with 2 projects in it.  One project I have included the files (the .c and .h only) for the CVI simple interface given in examples.  Is this enough to deploy that UI to the target machine?  What files should this project include so the UI gets built?

The other project has my .seq files and my custom .dll files.

When I open the deployment utility I choose the MSI based installation.  The system source tab points to the workspace file and I also check off the Teststand Public Directories and Teststand Configuration Directory.  In installer options - I have install Teststand Runtime checked off.

When I go to run the setup.exe created on the target machine:

It tries to install the full version of Teststand.  How do I make it use the deployment only or further, use the 2016 deployment only?

How do I correctly include the UI in the build and run that on the target machine?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,144 Views)

Not answering all of your questions.

Running an application which calls into TestStand requires the system to have an activated license of TestStand matching the version of the development environment. In your case, you require the TS 2017 runtime installed on the target and activated as at least "Base Deployment License".

TestStand provides the option to save sequence files for previous versions of TestStand (SaveAs), but i am not sure if you can automatize this via the deployment utility.

Why there is an active license without the installed software, i can only assume. My guess is that someone uninstalled it not using the standard uninstall process. As result, the license file (in a separated folder, not part of the TS installation itself) remained. Please check what the installed apps list in Windows shows. Maybe someone only deleted the TS folders manually....

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,118 Views)

Hmmm. So:

I have swapped over to Teststand 2016 Development version to match the deployment version.  So that should no longer be an issue.

I tried again to deploy and it found existing installations of Teststand - which is good.  Teststand 2016 also exists in the programs and features on the deployment machine.  So it does seem to be on there - despite the fact that there is nothing in the start menu or anywhere for me to "run" anything.

But nothing happens when I deploy.  No new start menu items, nothing to click, no OI seems to exist anywhere.  I must be doing something wrong with the deployment.  Is there a way that someone could do a deployment of just, say the CVI simple OI, and screenshot the pictures of each screen as the deployment package is created?  Do I need to include this path somewhere in my deployment in addition to the source code perhaps? "C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 2016\UserInterfaces\Simple\CVI\Source Code\Win32\TestExec.exe"  

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,101 Views)