cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Value Refrence In TestStand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I'm trying to pass a "Data Value Reference" to TestStand, so later on I can pass it into a VI on a different step and read/update the original value.

Passing the terminal to TestStand works OK, but the data type is not a reference, it is the data type of the variable the Data Value Reference is pointing to.

When I pass this "DVR" back in to another VI, no errors are thrown, but I simply get "0" back as the value, which is incorrect.

Is it possible to use DVRs in TestStand? - This post: https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/how-to-pass-large-amount-of-data-between-steps/td-p/2568551 is marked as solved using DVRs but I am not experiencing the same.

Here's the code I am using to create the DVR:

Capture.PNG

The "data ref" indicator is being stored in a FileGlobal with the data type "number".

In another step, the following VI is being used:

Capture.PNG

The data returned in "Data" array after running for 10s is 73,103 elements all with the value of 0.

Is there something I'm missing, or can you not take this approach at all?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,113 Views)

DVR should be stored as a number in TestStand.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,105 Views)

I'm storing it as a number, any idea why it wouldn't work? Or any examples I can look over? I've searched for things like "Data Value Reference TestStand" and haven't really returned anything useful

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,103 Views)

First of all I would expect that all values in your array are exactly the same.  Your DVR is a scalar and only stores a single value.  You are just reading that single value N times and building an array with it.  I assumed you were storing the iteration in the first image because you wanted to see how many times the loop executed before meeting the condition.

I've thrown together something really quickly.  See what you think.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Download All
Message 4 of 7
(3,087 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lbee11

Just realized you probably got multithreading going on.  Here is a better example for what you want.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
Message 5 of 7
(3,085 Views)

Thanks Jigga for taking the time to build an example.

I can see the principles behind this and how its supposed to work, but I still just get the value of 0, even when I move the slider. Now i'm wondering if it's some sort of configuration issue

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,068 Views)

Just remembered, you have to have "Reserve VIs For Execution" checked in the adapter settings if you want to use DVRs. It was briefly mentioned in the Actor Framework training course!

Works perfectly now that's turned on.

Thanks again!

Message 7 of 7
(3,065 Views)