NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create new report if file size gets too large

Solved!
Go to solution

The sequences that I am running in TestStand have the capability to generate large reports and I am looking for a way to either start a new report mid-sequence if the file size exceeds some limit, or start a new report every night at 12am.

I am currently using TestStand 2014 and ATML 5.00 reports.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,665 Views)

Are you using "On the fly reporting"?

Also you have to define what happens with header and footer information: Do each file contain these? Does the first file include header, the second none, the last the footer? What about identification that *all these files include data of tests done to a single DUT*?

Note that you most likely have to create a custom report plugin for this request. Yes, you can create one doing what you want.

On a side note, i would rather recommend you to use a database for reporting. SQL queries after the test are a data source for any kind of report files.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,663 Views)

I am using "On the fly reporting" and "Only display latest results".

As far as the header and footer goes, it would be ideal to have the header and footer in all of the files. Identification could be either an incrementing number or a new timestamp in the file name.

I was hoping that I would be able to use some overrides to accomplish this, but it sounds a bit more complex than that. Using a database for reporting is always an option that I may have to start exploring.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,650 Views)

i know what you mean...

the Atml reports are very nice and visualy appealing to the user. But when you are doing a 10 hr test and have lot of results it is a nightmare. i am suffering of this right now.

As some people is suggesting, you best bet is to use database sql reporting, it will solve all your problems but you will have to create an interface to bring those reports back on a screen and make it user friendly.

you could start doing experiments if you have mircrosfot access and then you cand do a labview interface to extract the data from the tables.

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,643 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mattb1

@mattb1 wrote:
[...]

I was hoping that I would be able to use some overrides to accomplish this, but it sounds a bit more complex than that. [...]

There are no specific overrides which enable you to solve this "by configuration and only little implementation".

The point is that you have to do the following steps:

1. Check file size after writing a new chunk of report data.

2. If size > configured file size, create a new file. Write footer in previous file, duplicate header information for new file and store file handle to all previous files.

3. Once test finishes, update the header in ALL files (remember: the header includes the overall result of the DUT. This is only known when the test is finished!) and finalize all report files.

In default report plugins, none of the functions mentioned above is implemented.

You maybe want to also look into "Offline Results File" as report mechanism. It could be easier to modify things using this approach unless you go the recommended way: Database.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,636 Views)

Thanks for the replies.

I will start looking into using a database for my reporting.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,607 Views)