NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Exit From TestStand: Index Was Out Of Range error

I'm trying to exit from TestStand and it absolutely refuses to die. Instead it gives me the following error message:

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection. Parameter name: index

Anybody have an idea what's going on here??
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,077 Views)

Hello,

I think to better diagnose this situation some more information would be helpful. Is this problem occurring when you simply try to close the TestStand environment, when you are terminating a sequence, or during deployment?  Does it only occur with certain sequence files? What version of TestStand are you using?  Since the error references an 'index' it seems that we are having issues accessing some array or variable that might not initialized, is no longer present, or some data point in an array that we cannot reach.  If this is occurring within just the TestStand environment you may want to try and repair the installation because the TS menus are stored in arrays and it might be that some of this environmental data has been corrupted.  If you can answer some of the above questions it should narrow down the scope of this problem and we should be closer to getting your issue resolved.

John B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,050 Views)
The error was occurring when simply trying to exit TestStand. Hit the little red X in the upper right, watch the pretty error message appear, and gaze in wonder as TestStand refuses to die. The only way to kill TestStand was to use the task manager and kill the application from there.

I believe that I had just added two elements to Standard Data Types -> Common Results (I need to keep track of test site information for every test, I added these to Common Results).

After  using my rabbit with big pointy teeth to kill TestStand I restarted and man oh man was it upset...complained that I had to reload every sequence because of type mismatch problems. This was probably caused by the somewhat ungraceful way that I closed down TestStand, but it didn't seem that I had any other choice (everytime I tried to kill it TestStand would just say "I'm not dead yet....I'm feeling much better....I think I'll go for a walk!")

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,042 Views)

Hi,

It complained because you changed the Common Results container which is used in everything.

What TestStand version are you using?

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,033 Views)
Complaining about the common results container I can understand. Refusing to die is something I can't!

I'm using 4.0.0.326

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,020 Views)
Hello,

One step I would recommend to remedy this problem is to go to NI Labs and download the TestStand Toolkit. This contains a tool called the 'Type Differ' which, when run, will allow you to restore the default TestStand types to their original state.  The reason I am recommending this is because I think your problem is tied to the modifications you made to the Common Results data type.  Modifying the default TS types is not a recommended method to handle custom data.  The best way would be to create your own custom type to use in place of/conjunction with the Common Results container.
John B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,970 Views)
I didn't really want to modify the common results type, but it was the only way that I could see to get something to be stored for EVERY step. This system is a wafer test system and for every result I need to store the site and sub-site (in other words...where were the probe tips when this data was taken?).

Is there a better way to get TestStand to always store something for every step?

..glen
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,963 Views)

Glen,

After some consideration, I think I may have portrayed the consequences of editing the Common Results container as a little more harsh than they really are.  It is actually not all that uncommon to modify this type.  The better question here is, has this crash occured more than once, and if so is it occurring every time you run TestStand?  Is there possibly a common thread we could try to test (i.e. new sequence file)?  If so then maybe we did modify something that has changed the way TestStand is running and that is what we need to track down. 

John B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,945 Views)

Hi,

I have seen this error a few times, and I am not quite sure what actually causes this error. That is the reason I actually came to this post on the forum. However I have found that when you have this error, if you close the tabs of the files you have open in TestStand first and then try closing TestStand it seems to work.

What I usually tend to find when I get this error (I am normally using Labivew VIs in my steps) the module part of the Step Settings area seems to freeze up with whatever it was shown in that area before, so none of the parameters can be touched.

Hope this helps close TestStand, if anyone has any idea why this problem occurs I would appreciate to learn about it.

Thanks

Kewal

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,079 Views)

Hi,

Does this error occur when you are creating a new LabVIEW step or when modifying existing steps in your sequence file? Have you been able to consistently make this error occur?

Rohama K.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,057 Views)