From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling .NET DLL Error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone

I'm trying to make a TCP/IP connection with a PLC, using an open source DLL wrriten in .NET (This Library)

first of all I create an Action Step, and call the object ModbusClient and the Connect method: 

ModbusClient().Connect("device ip", port)

then I create the second Action Step, and call the WriteSingleCoil method to write a True status to Address 8193:

ModbusClient().WriteSingleCoil(8193,True)

after second step execution I get an exception error: connection error

it seems that first step execute independently and when the program execute the second step, the connected TCP/IP connection at the first step does not exist anymore.

I've read somewhere that we must store Object Reference in a Local variable and define it in the rest of the functions in different steps.. but I don't know what it means and don't know what to do..

I'm quite new to Teststand.. can anybody help ??

Thank you, Eric.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,261 Views)

Hi Eric jan,

Check this link, for the part of Local variables.

And also take a look at this, for TestStand.  

Regards.

Message 2 of 5
(1,216 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ericmateovisan

Hi ericmateovisan, 

You can create first object  reference then  use "Use Existing Object(EasyModbus.ModbusClient).Connect(System.String, Int32)" in your next steps.  

1.   Create object   .NET Invocation = ModbusClient(), return value is object  reference

2.  .NET Invocation= Use Existing Object(EasyModbus.ModbusClient).Connect(System.String, Int32)

3.  .NET Invocation=  Existing Object(EasyModbus.ModbusClient).WriteSingleCoil(Int32, Boolean)

important point is here, that you need to use only existing object. 

check it please here  topic: Use Existing Object

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052AB-01/tsref/infotopics/db_editnetcall_module/

Message 3 of 5
(1,193 Views)

@IDASYAN wrote:

Hi Eric jan,

Check this link, for the part of Local variables.

And also take a look at this, for TestStand.  

Regards.

Thank you for your reply 👌

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,179 Views)

@sezgin.caluk wrote:

Hi ericmateovisan, 

You can create first object  reference then  use "Use Existing Object(EasyModbus.ModbusClient).Connect(System.String, Int32)" in your next steps.  

1.   Create object   .NET Invocation = ModbusClient(), return value is object  reference

2.  .NET Invocation= Use Existing Object(EasyModbus.ModbusClient).Connect(System.String, Int32)

3.  .NET Invocation=  Existing Object(EasyModbus.ModbusClient).WriteSingleCoil(Int32, Boolean)

important point is here, that you need to use only existing object. 

check it please here  topic: Use Existing Object

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052AB-01/tsref/infotopics/db_editnetcall_module/

thank you for your reply... this solved my problem. thank you so much 😊💙

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,176 Views)