From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to detect PXIe-8880 controller (Linux RT 7.0) in LabVIEW Communication System Design Suite 3.1 System Designer

I have been trying to detect my PXIe-8880 along with three USRP's (USRP-2954R) connected to it using LabVIEW Communication System Suite 3.1 System Designer. Under the System Designer, there is nothing being shown in the Discovered Hardware section. When trying to add hardware by address, the error message prompted is "NI Systems Management Server is not installed or running on this machine" as shown in the screenshot attached. Along with this I also do not see my controller under Remote System in NI Max (attached in the screenshot) and USRP's in NI-USRP Configuration Utility.

There are several things I have already tried in an effort to find the error as suggested by others and NI Support. They are listed below:

1. Checked the date and time settings on both host pc and controller so that they are same.

2. Tried Troubleshoot option in NI Max. It was unable to detect the issue.

3. Made sure that the ethernet cable is plugged into the 1st ethernet ports in both host and controller.

4. Tried to ping the devices from each other with a direct and indirect connection. I am able to ping the controller from the host and vice versa.

Kindly, suggest me what could be the issue leading to this. In the screenshots attached I have shown the version of NI Linux RT and other important things which I have tried till now. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,586 Views)

Hi Anshumanms,

This could be a few possible things, most likely either software drivers not installed, services not running, or network issues. Here are a few questions to help narrow down:

• For the "NI Systems Management Server is not installed or running on this machine" error, could you confirm NI-SMS is running in Windows Services. You can open Start and search for 'Services'.
  • Have you ever been able to connect to these devices? Are these new? 
  • What software is installed on the PC?
  • What software is installed on the PXI and USRP? Do you have the SystemLink client support installed? 
  • What is the IP addresses of the PXI/USRP and your PC? Are they connected to the same router? 

Thanks,
Frank

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,516 Views)

Hi, fblerg,

Thank you for your response. I have checked the running Windows Services and no such service named NI Systems Management Server or NI-SMS is running on the system.

Also, yeah I was able to add the controller and USRPs in the system designer earlier. But then all of a sudden they stopped appearing, and this problem arose.

I am attaching a detailed System Information file to help you find out the possible problems. The PXI and the host system are on the same subnet. The details of the software installed on the controller are listed below:

Description: NI Linux Real-Time 7.0
Release: 7.0
Codename: Comms-3.1

What is System Link client? I am not sure whether that is installed. Please let me know where it is used?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,001 Views)