NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove the taskbar

We are selling these as part of an instrument, so we want to remove the taskbar to increase proper use of the instrument. How do you remove the taskbar?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,600 Views)

The taskbar (it is called panel in the help documentation) can be removed by calling 'hidepanel' via the System Exec VI. If you want to show it gain you can call 'showpanel'.

The LabVIEW Real-Time help touches briefly on this: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370622M-01/lvrthowto/deskenv_full/

Some extra information: 'hidepanel' is actually just a script[1] that calls 'xfce4-panel -q'

[1] /usr/local/bin/hidepanel

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,068 Views)

If I run hidepanel from putty.exe I get an error saying

1453 lvuser xfce4-panel

(xfce4-panel:2249): GLib-WARNING **: (gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

when I run hidepanel from the terminal I get an error saying hidepanel command not found.

Also preferably I would like to hide the panel from bootup before the executable starts.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,068 Views)

If I run hidepanel from putty.exe I get an error saying

1453 lvuser xfce4-panel

(xfce4-panel:2249): GLib-WARNING **: (gerror.c:390):g_error_new_valist: runtime check failed: (domain != 0)

You are probably getting this error because you are running the command from putty as the user 'admin'.

The desktop environment runs under the user 'lvuser'. You can run 'su lvuser' and then '/usr/local/bin/hidepanel'.

when I run hidepanel from the terminal I get an error saying hidepanel command not found.

The problem seems to be the fact that '/usr/local/bin' is not in the path for 'lvuser'. You can work around this issue by using the full path to the script '/usr/local/bin/hidepanel' or you can add '/usr/local/bin' to the PATH environment variable for 'lvuser'

Also preferably I would like to hide the panel from bootup before the executable starts.

One way to achieve this is to edit '/etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-session.xml' and remove these lines and reboot:

<property name="Client2_Command" type="array">

<value type="string" value="xfce4-panel"/>

</property>

<property name="Client2_PerScreen" type="bool" value="false"/>

Note that xfce sessions are cached so if removing these lines doesn't appear to work you have to remove any session files saved in '/home/lvuser/.cache/sessions/'

Message 4 of 5
(3,068 Views)

Thank you that worked.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,068 Views)