From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI Linux Real-Time Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Cups to run on cRIO 9045

Solved!
Go to solution

Greetings,

To begin, I'm a newbie with Linux and Real-Time.

My ultimate goal is to get my target to print the front-panel of a vi using a USB-connected printer.  After digging through the forums, I decided to try installing the Cups ipk onto the target.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to get Cups to run.  When I execute the command at the terminal, I only get an empty prompt in response.  My one and only clue so far: cupsd -t responds with "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf contains errors". 

Details:

cRIO 9045 with LabVIEW Real-Time 18.0.0

Brothers HL-L2320D printer with brother-HLL2320D-cups-en.ppd driver

Packages: (installed using opkg)

cups_2.2.2-r0.16_core2-64.ipk

libcups2_2.2.2-r0.16_core2-64.ipk

libcupcuosimage2_2.2.2-r0.16_core2-64.ipk

libncurses5_6.0+20161126-r024_core2-64.ipk

procps_3.3.12-r0.15_core2-64.ipk

cups-dev_2.2.2-r0.16_core2-64

cups-doc_2.2.2-r0.16_core2-64

cups-dbg_2.2.2-r0.16_core2-64

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
(3,258 Views)

Hi Draicen,

I'm not sure what configuration steps you have taken, but I think it would be helpful to start with Using CUPS to print from your target if you have not already. I have not had a chance to try these steps on a cRIO 9040 target, but it should be the same process as outlined with the cRIO 9030 on the linked page.

Thanks,

Andy

Product Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,218 Views)

Hello Andy,

This is the procedure I am attempting to follow, the edited cupsd.conf file is in the zip file attached above.  Once I get to the step to start Cups in the foreground, nothing happens.  The only deviation I made in the edit was use "Allow all" in place of specifying the exact IP, as shown here.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,206 Views)

Hi Draicen,

Below is a conf file that passed "cupsd -f". Could you start with this file and see what addition breaks the "cupsd -f" test?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,188 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Draicen

Progress!

Ok, the file checks out fine now, (how on earth did you get that to work?!), what's more I was able to get Cups to run and was even able to get to the UI.  Now I'm running into an issue with the login credentials for "Add printer...".  It won't accept either the admin or root login/passwds.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,181 Views)

The only thing that I can think of is to make sure you are following the password change instructions in the guide. 

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,160 Views)

Hey Andy,

I was able to finally to get the login to work, basically I had to reboot the target a few times.

I was finally able to get the printer added! (Just need to figure out how to get it to actually print...)

Thanks for the help on getting Cups up and running!

Message 7 of 7
(3,155 Views)