Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is there a way to find the total resistance of a circuit?

i have just started using multisim pro. 10.1 is there a way to use the program to find the total resistance of circuit, with parallel and series connections?
Message 1 of 8
(26,448 Views)

Hi there,

Thank you for using Multisim! There is a multimeter instrument in Multisim. It is the first instrument in the Instruments toolbar. The multimeter has a ohmeter function. The multimeter works by inserting a very small test current through the circuit and measuring the voltage drop across its terminals. This is realistic as it works the same way as most real multimeters, but keep in mind that this also means that you may have trouble measuring resistances of nonlinear circuits and small signal resistance.

The instruments toolbar is on the right hand side of Multisim in its default layout. You can always reenable the toolbar by clicking View>>Toolbars>>Instruments.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(26,438 Views)
okay but how do i make it work?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(26,395 Views)

Take a look at the attached image. One thing that might be unintuitive is that you must have a ground connected in your circuit somewhere. Otherwise, you would connect up the circuit just as you would in real life.

Hope that helps.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(26,392 Views)
okay thank you very much! that was a big help!
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(26,361 Views)

Ah but that resistance measurement is only a basic measurement, right?  In other words, as in reality, resistance measurements cannot be made with the power on, due to the combination of the meter's current source and the circuit's current flow...

....unless you're dealing with a FET.

That's what's cool about FETs (at least I think.)  You can set up a gate to source voltage but then connect an ohmmeter from drain to source and measure the channel resistance WITH THE POWER ON.

See the attached.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(26,344 Views)

Pleae tell me faster how to calculate equivalent resistance in multisim.

Or

How to insert Req component in multisim.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(13,544 Views)

Hi User5678! Welcome to the forums!

The original post here is more than 10 years old--you'll usually get more traction on the forums if you go ahead and make a new thread when threads are this old.

That said, I've linked a video tutorial here that might help answer your question. If you have more questions, I'd recommend making a new thread so more people will see it.

Claire M.
Technical Support
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(13,528 Views)