Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'error generating application files'

While trying to install your EBW DesignSuite Freeware edition 9, I am getting 'error generating application files'. Once the software installs I am not able to open it. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks

Frank
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,841 Views)

Frank,

It sounds like there was just an installation issue. I recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling the software.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,822 Views)
Sorry to resurrect a thread, but I'm having the very same issue.  Windows XP Pro SP2, 2GB of RAM, plenty of free hard drive space (about 15GB).  I get the same popup while trying to install the freeware.  The popup appears about seven times or so, then the installation claims to complete successfully.  I'm able to proceed with installing the NI shared components, and I can run the updater -- and get more error popups while updating.  Finally, the Multisim and Ultiboard shortcuts installed do not work; the executables they point to do not exist.

Uninstalling, rebooting, installing to a different drive, etc. does not help.  I always have the same errors on this workstation.

If I inspect the installation directory while the error popups exist, I see files named "Multisim.eexe" and "Ultiboard.eexe" -- note the extra 'e' in the file extension.  After the popups are gone, those files are gone.

The software installs perfectly fine on my PC at home.  I'm trying to copy the full installation from home onto my bad installation here to see if that helps, but I don't have high hopes for this.

Is anybody else having this problem too?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,691 Views)
Make sure that you have administrator privileges on the workstation, I've seen this error happening to users without administrator access to a computer.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,687 Views)
Wonder of wonders, copying the files from the "EWB9 Freeware" directory from a good installation actually seems to have worked for me.  Hopefully this will help anybody else with the same problem.
Message 5 of 7
(4,685 Views)
I am logged in with an administrator account on both machines.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,683 Views)

I'm glad you worked it out by copying the files...

Since you are the administrator on both computers then the problem should be related to the InstallShield engine that is being used as the installer...

http://support.installshield.com/

Usually you will find good info on their support website... sometimes is a matter of reinstalling or updating the engine that your computer has (a previous installation might had corrupted it)...

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,680 Views)