Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates?

Hi there NI Team,

I know you don't want someone to ask this, but I couldn't refuse. I know your guys (or gals) are working diligently to solve the problems that have been brought to your attention and I realize that this takes time. I am not a software engineer so I don't know how long this make take and don't want to sound pushy or anything. I was just wanting to know if there is any timeline on any future updates to Version 10? Do you just release updates as the come available or do you have a schedule for doing that?

Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Have A Nice Day
Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,840 Views)

Hi Lacy,

I don't see any problem in making such question, I think is perfectly fine to ask it and we should answer it. However, please do understand that I can't provide specifics in some details.

Our team works in full capacity to resolve reported problems, but also to provide new and/or enhanced features into the software. Every software company makes their own choice on how to handle updates, some provide really quick patches, others prefer to accumulate fixes in bigger updates. Any of these two choices carries pros and cons that every user might like or dislike differently from others. It indeed takes time to make a fix, if you consider the assessment of the fix, actually making the fix, and making sure that a fix does not compromises the stability of the program in other areas not to say in future updates/upgrades, quality check and installer checks. We do not have a set period for releasing updates such as "every two months" for example, we release updates based on many variables such as: urgency, number of users impacted, workarounds available, etc., there is a decision process and the obvious software release workflow that goes with it. Especially on a software platform that integrates with so many things. With this said I just want to make the point that releasing updates is something that NI does in a serious way.

Version 10 was release back in January, we had an update (10.0.0.1) in April and then we had another update (10.0.1) in June. We can't provide details on future releases as we are a public company, but I can tell you that all of the issues that are reported to us are studied carefully and all are included in a workflow in which some will be pushed first, others later. If there is a particular request about any reported issue you (and everybody) can direct those questions directly to support and have a discussion on a case by case basis with them.

I hope Lacy that I provided some insight on how this works, even though unfortunately I cannot provide information on specific future releases.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,802 Views)

Thanks Nextor, I can understand your postion on this subject with all the variable you outlined. It is my opinion, though, that a little speedier updating (when they are availablle, of course) would make everyone a little happier especially on some of the more critical issues. This is just my opinion and nothing more than that so don't look at it as complaining. I just want everyone to be happy with Multisim and Ultiboard.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer this question.

Have A Nice Day.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,799 Views)

Hello Nestor,

what do you think about a road map  as other software company do (e.g. Code Worrior on their compiler releases). So we could see what you intend to release in nexts steps. i guess that would help to reduce the patience in some cases (and/or: we could see which of all the user reported bugs and wishes are in your target..)

What do you think about that?

Best Regards.

Ralf

Message 4 of 6
(3,791 Views)
I will bring this feedback to our next meeting and let our developers know about it and see what chances are to communicate such thing to our users. Thanks!
Nestor
Message 5 of 6
(3,769 Views)

As always, Nestor you are a great help to us users and we greatly appreciate what you are able to do for us.

Thank you very very much

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,764 Views)