From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Board outline gerber showing drill holes

I am having a problem with Ulitiboard 8. After exporting gerbers, the board outline gerber shows all drilled holes (except for the vias) as well as the usual outline. Previous versions only exported the board outline as expected. Is this a bug, or have I missed a control option somewhere? Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,244 Views)
Hi,

I just tested this in V8 and I don't see a problem.  The layers I was looking at is the copper top and the drill file, I see it in a Gerber viewer.  What  layer did you look at?

Tien Pham
EWB Support
Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,229 Views)
Hi, Thanks for response. The problem is on the Board-Outline layer only. All other layers seem OK. I expect the board outline layer to have the board outline only for prodcution of the board shape, but it also has the drill holes for all except the vias.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,228 Views)

Hey there,

Are you able to post up here one of your files?  I'd be glad to have a look at it for you if you do so.

You will need to zip the file though, the extension isn't friendly with this forum yet.

Thanx

AdamB

Applications Engineering Team Leader | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,202 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I have zipped and attached a simple layout. I have included the gerber that shows the problem. Very interested to see if you get the same problem.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,200 Views)
Are you seeing this?

Applications Engineering Team Leader | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,196 Views)
Hi,
Yes, that's what I see. It's the holes that I am questioning. Previous versions had no hole, just the outline. Are the holes intended to be there? Didn't get them with Ultiboard2001 (see attached gerber for earlier version of same design made with Ultiboard 2001).
I'm not certain, but I think this will upset a manufacturer using this file to give the mechanical shape of the pcb. The machines maytry to cut out the holes as well as the board outline??
Thanks again
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,192 Views)

Hi,

I think you are referring the fuducial marks, select Option-->Preferences-->PCB Design, uncheck the "show fuducial marks" and export the outline again.

Regards,

Tien Pham

EWB Support

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,167 Views)
Hi Tien,
Thank you for your reply.
It is not the fudials that I am refering to.  I have already tried deselecting fudials.
If you could have a look at GerberHoles.jpeg posted by AdamB of NI, you can see (1) the big green hole in the middle which is a hole component. (2) the four green holes on the RHS which are a thru hole module (3) the 2 holes at the bottom which are an LED, (4) the 2 holes at the top RHS which are a switch component, plus several other holes. These are all components.
These are on the board outline layer!!!! Maybe I am mis-understanding something, but I am expecting the board outline layer to show only the line that represents the perimeter of the pcb - no holes for components? 
Thanks for your help.
Mac
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,153 Views)