From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powerbasic or other

I would like to use the NI-DAQ A/D PCI hardware.
The problem (??) is that I am programming in PowerBasic, is it possible to use the NI-DAQmx driver inside this compiler ?
If not, I need to switchto a "supported" language like as MS Visual.NET (Basic, c#) or Visual C/C++ or Labview ?

Thank you very much
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,822 Views)

Hi Teo,

I don't know PowerBasic, I know it's a old software but I've seen that exists also a Windows version. On Windows it's possible to install and configure all NI actual board through specific driver (NI-DAQmx, NI-VISA, etc) and the drivers make available libraries (dll) to use hardware. So, if PB is able to manage dll, maybe it could drive DAQ boards, but NI doesn't recognize PB as a supported development environment for NI hardware.

You can use all the software you have mentioned. My suggestion is Labview or, if you prefer ANSI C programming, LabWindows/CVI because they are NI development environments and their interaction with NI hardware is immediate, but you can choose also VB.NET, C# or VC++.NET.

MarcoC
Message 2 of 3
(2,809 Views)
Dear Castel, first of all, thank you very much for your reply

obviously I referred to the PowerBasic for Windows compiler (or the Console Compiler one)
your could find them at www.powerbasic.com

(I am not involved with them, just to show you the product)

The very big force of PowerBasic vs VisualBasic.net is its speed/power (really really fast), and the simplicity of its programs (often, complete compiled programs are just few 100Kbs, while with VB it is impossible to go below some Megas...

Just another question (if possible) :
with similar application, is there any speed difference between a LabView (compiled or not) program or a VB.net one ?
after all the Analog to Digital( wjat I need) speed/efficency is in the DLL driver/library or in the compiler ?

Thank you very much again
Have a nice week end

Matteo
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,800 Views)