to the scope and observe them. which ports do

i have to connect to (if any preference)? how

should i determine the direction of data flow (

Input / Output)?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,318 Views)

You got a manual with the 6501 but since it appears you cannot find it, the electronic copy is here. There is also the getting started guide.

You can probe any pin that you want to and program them to be input or output. You can set the port direction and state in MAX. For example, If you set port 0 bit 0 to an output, you would probe pin 17.

Why are you using the scope in differential mode to look at TTL signals?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,310 Views)

Hi saamooraaii,

Another great resource is to simply check out some great shipping examples from our NI Example Finder under Help » Find Examples. I believe in your case, we would need to look at examples under Hardware Input and Output » DAQmx >> Digital Generation (or Digital Measurements). These are great places to start building your application. I would also like to point out that you can narrow down your example search by hardware. To do this, simply add a device in the Hardware drop down menu in the bottom left corner of you NI Example Finder. You can then select your hardware and check "Limit results to hardware."

I hope this helps.

S_Hong
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,293 Views)

Hi.

thanks s_hong.

i cannot seem to fing "example finder". where is it

on the other hand, i was able to send "1 sample"

to the scope from both USB-6009 and USB-6501.

now supposing that we narrow it down to USB-6501:

- i tried to run a pattern of zeros and ones. didn't work!

none of "N samples" OR "conitneous" seem to be 

working. but NOW and EVEN WORSE, when i try 

to use "tasks" options, a window pops up showing me

the licence manager and wants to connect to internet!!!

i mean, i already have the purchased CD from which i

installed the software MAX and other ones. now why

should i go to register for a licence when i already own

it?

s.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,289 Views)

Hi saamooraaii,

The Example Finder is actually located under the LabVIEW Help menu. If you do not have LabVIEW and you are simply trying to test your USB-6501 in MAX, I recommend using the Test Panels (right click on your device and click Test Panels). This utility is a quick way of testing your card's I/O and making sure that the card is indeed functioning properly.

Can I ask you how you are trying to generate your pattern of zeros and ones? Are you using LabVIEW to code your application?

As for the problems you are having with MAX and the NI License Manager, you may be getting this error because whenever you use create a virtual channel or use the task options, it essentially makes use of the DAQ Assistant which requires you to have a license. This license generally comes with LabVIEW or LabWindows/CVI. It is possible that you were given a temporary license that is taking precedence over the permanent license from your other software. Please take a look at this KnowledgeBase Article and let me know if it fixes the problem.

S_Hong
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,279 Views)

s_hong,

there is no files with TmpEthernet in the name!

my situation is:

i am trying to generate a binary pattern and send it

out to the scope. i wanted to do it with MAX, but the

"N samples" and "contineous" were not working,

giving me the "Error-200077". then i downloaded 

LabView 8.6 from the website (and apparently it is

the evaluation version), and tried to find some 

necessary functions from the pallete, but none of 

the ones that i need, are in there.

i wanted you to insure me that what i want to do can

ONLY be done when i have a full (purchased) 

licence, please, OR otherwise please help me get

to know what i am doing wrong.

regards.

s.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,274 Views)

Hi saamooraaii,

The reason why you are getting error -200077 is because you are trying to perform a correlated digital I/O (clocked Digital I/O) with your device, but unfortunately, neither the USB-6009 nor the USB-6501 can perform this task. These devices are meant to do only static Digital I/O (sample on demnd) and therefore you will not be able to clock digital data on these devices (i.e. N Samples & Continuous). However, this simply means that you cannot use hardware timing for these tasks, so if timing is not a real concern, you can always update the digital lines with your bit sequence using software time. Please take a look at some of our shipping examples on Digital Generation and DIgital Measurement. If you would like to narrow down your example search by hardware, you can simply add a device in the Hardware drop down menu in the bottom left corner of your NI Example Finder. You can then select your hardware and place check in "Limit results to hardware."

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

S_Hong
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,260 Views)