From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What devices should be used to produce acoustic sounds?

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear NI experts,

I am a researcher who records EEGs in response to acoustic sounds. Here is the setup in my lab:

1. A custom-written LabVIEW program generates a series of signals >>
  2. Signals go through an NI PCI 6221 interface card inside a desktop computer >>
  3. Signals go through the AO0 channel of an NI BNC-2090A that is mounted on a 19" rack
  4. Signals go through a Wavetek duo filter (this device filters and "smooths" out digital edges of the signal) that is mounted on a 19" rack
  5. Signals go through a Tucker-Davis programmable attenuator PA4 (this device attenuates the signal) that is mounted on a 19" rack
  6. Signals go through a Tucker-Davis headphone buffer HB6 (this device provides power to drive the diaphragm of an earphone to vibrate)
  7. Signals go to an insert earphone (ER-3A, 50 Ohms) that presents sound into the ear canal of a human participant
  8. Recording pads are placed on the participant's head to pick up EEGs
  9. EEGs go through a physiological amplifier
  10. EEGs go through the AI0 channel of an NI BNC-2090A that is mounted on a 19" rack
  11. EEGs go back to NI PCI 6221 inside the desktop computer
  12. The same LabVIEW program is used to record EEGs.

Recently, I want to build a similar system but on wheels, so that I can move the system around and record EEGs elsewhere. Here are the devices that I already have and plan to use on this mobile system.

1. The same LabVIEW program will be used on the mobile system.
  2. A laptop computer will be used, instead of a desktop computer.
  3. An NI USB-6216 BNC will be used to replace the roles of PCI 6221.
  4. The same earphone will be used.
  5. The same EEG amplifier will be used.

However, I do not know what devices should be used on the mobile system, to replace the functionalities of devices #4, #5, and #6 listed above. 

Any comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(907 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fuh

A better option to generate acoustic signals would be the Sound & Vibration series AO cards, this will produce a clean sinewave and you can skip #4, based on your selection of this AO card, you can even skip#5.

If the EEG signals are a mix of sines, you can get Sound & Vibration series AI cards, they have better dynamic range and retain frequency components well.

Talking about the portable unit, these instruments can fit in a cDAQ chassis and connect to a laptop or a computer.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 3
(900 Views)

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(869 Views)