From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Device 5-10MHz Clock

I have an application where I need to drive external boards at a clock speed of between 5 MHz and 10MHz, and read back multi-channel 16-bit serial words synced to this clock. Is this possible using a PCIe-6353 X series card? In the parlance of the X-Series Manual, this 5-10MHz signal becomes by "Timebase" clock. I would need it to both clock the serial output of my devices to the PCIe-6353, and sync the digital acquisition of this serial data by the PCIe-6353. I am concerned because on page 6-8 of the manual it says the "DI Sample Clock Timebase is not available as an output on the I/O connector." (I don't believe generation of the necessary "Sample Clock" pulse is much of an issue as I believe I can get it by dividing down the Time Base clock.)

Is there a way to get a 5-10MHz clock signal out of the card to my devices?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,854 Views)

Hey Rob,

Please read page 9-3 of X Series Manual:

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370784a.pdf

"The 10 MHz reference clock can be used to synchronize other devices to
your X Series device. The 10 MHz reference clock can be routed to the
RTSI <0..7> terminals. Other devices connected to the RTSI bus can use
this signal as a clock input."

Regards,
Efrain G.
National Instruments
Visit http://www.ni.com/gettingstarted/ for step-by-step help in setting up your system.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,829 Views)

Efrain,

Thanks for finding that reference for me. Accessing the clock off the RTSI bus solves half my problem insofar as I can use that to syncronize another card in the host computer. I don't know how far I could run that signal line to a benchtop device as a custom twisted pair. A meter would be ok.

Rob

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,821 Views)