Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronization of NI ENET 9205

Hello

Currently i am trying to access a large quantity of sensors remotely over a long range (line ethernet seems the only option) and so i came across NI ENET 9205 modules which satisfies my sampling rate requirements. I have some queries about this module

1-Can i use this device standalone (i.e. without using any chassis e.g. NI cDAQ-9188)

2- I may need to use 3 to 4 ENET 9205 devices to cover my sensors but due to space restrictions i cannot use avilable chasis (NI cDAQ-9188) with it. So is there any way to synchronize these devices externaly witout using chassis?

Best Regards
ASIM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,984 Views)

Hi ASIM,

For new single slot ethernet designs, we recommend using the cDAQ-9181. Since you are planning on using the 9205, you will be able to synchronize to other 9205s using the PFI built into the card. You can use one card to be the "master" device, which will send out a sample clock. The other devices will be "slaves", which will receive the master's sample clock. Please keep in mind that some cDAQ cards do not include a PFI line, so they may not be able to be sychronized in a single slot cDAQ chassis.

Steven K.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,977 Views)

Hi Steven

Thanks very much for your help. As for as my 2 query is concerned, i will further study PFI and will trouble you again if needed but i am still confused with my first query.

Is cDAQ-9181 "must" or just recommended for use with single ENET 9205?

and if ENET 9205 can work without cDAQ-9181 chasis, what additional functionalities cDAQ-9181 chasis provides?

THANKS

Best Regards

ASIM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,973 Views)

Hi Asim,

The NI-ENET 9205 comes shipped with its own carrier, so you wouldn't necessarily need the cDAQ-9181 chassis to use the device.  That being said, the NI-ENET 9205 is scheduled for obsolescence with a last time buy date of August 31, 2012.  For new designs, NI recommends using the NI-9205 Measurement system as described here: NI 9205 Measurement System.  

I hope this answers your question!

Regards,

Jared R.
Precision DC Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 4
(2,964 Views)