From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No devices under Max

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello again everyone.

I have looked through other posts and have tried everything suggested without any luck. (other than a complete un-install, re-install)

I am being forced by my systems department to upgrade to Windows 7 64bit and use a shinny new Lenovo ThinkCentre M-series computer.

My problem is with MAX v5.0.  I have a PCIe-6351 and a PCI-6052E installed in the system, windows recognizes the cards and according to the Device Manager everything is working fine.  The problem is, this devices are not showing up in MAX under the Devices and Interfaces tree.  I refresh the tree and it says it's searching, but it never finds anything.  I used the Tools>>Reset Configuration option and that did not do anything.

Could there be some security features installed that would be stopping MAX from polling the systems hardware correctly?  I only ask this because I was told that some rather harsh security practices are going to be implemented with the new computers I am about to receive.

I am gained Administrative rights, and run MAX under an Administrative account, but still no luck.

This is a fresh install, and I received no errors, everything appeared to install fine.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Your help is as always, greatly appreciated.

Steven M.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,127 Views)

Make sure the 'NI Device Loader' service is set to start automatically. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type 'services' and select it from the displayed results. Scroll down to 'NI Device Loader' and see if the service is started. If it isn't, you can manually start the service by right clicking on it and selecting 'Start'. Once the service is started, see if your device shows up in NI-MAX. The attached picture shows the NI Device Loader in Windows Services.

I've found that my devices don't appear in NI-MAX because the 'NI Device Loader' service won't automatically start when Windows starts even though the service is set to automatically start. Windows Event viewer shows an error 65549 occurs when trying to start the mDNS responder service which then prevents the NI Device Loader service from starting. I've searched for the 65549 error related to the mDNS responder and have found some posts with suggested fixes but nothing works for me yet.

Right now, I've got a new computer that I just loaded Windows 7 32-bit on. I then installed the latest NI-DAQmx driver (ver 9.5) and nothing else. I've found that the mDNS and Device Loader services will only start consistently if I unplug my network cable. If the computer is connected to the network, the service usually doesn't start automatically.

This has been a problem for me for several months. I've had this occur on several different computers using several different boards. I've only recently discovered that the problem occurs most often for me when the network is connected. I suspect that our company has shipped out several computers with this problem without me noticing it because we typically don't connect our computers to the network. However, our customers routinely do connect them to a network so I expect I will be hearing from them soon.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,121 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steve289

Well, my problem is solved. MAX recognizes all of my devices and everything works as it should.  The fix is a little anti-climaticSmiley Happy

The source of the problem was that the NI System Web Server ( NiApplicationWebServer ) service was not running, which stopped the mDNS Responder service from running, which in turn stopped the NI Device Loader service from running.

Trying to manually start the NI System Web Server & National Instruments mDSN Service would result in a error 1075, trying to start the Ni Device Loader resulted in an error 1068.

My systems department had no ideas about what security measures or virus protection settings on their end would be causing the problem.

Solution:

Control Panel >> Programs >> Programs and Features >> National Instruments Software >> Uninstall / Change >> Measurement Automation & Explorer >> Repair.

After doing the repair, everything works fine, and all of the above services are running.

The installation process showed no errors or problems, so I am at a loss as to why it needed repairing.  But either way, problem solved.

Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,080 Views)

I have the same problem with all my Win7 64Bit machines, I set NI device loader and Nat Inst mDNS responder service to delayed start, then my device was found on boot-up without having to start the services manually, hope this helps, fred

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,984 Views)