Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggest digital vibration sensor

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a digital vibration sensor/ accelerometer which is compatible with NI 6210? The application is to measure moving TRAIN vibrations.

A digital sensor would be better as I have to calibrate data for analog sensors.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,358 Views)

No, I can't , since essential requirements are not defined 😉

Frequency range?

Range & Sensitivity & needed uncertainty? 

And you will always need a calibration .... no matter what the type of output is since acceleration sensors work analog 😉 

(unless you measure with a primary system, usually a laser doppler vibrometer)

However...

Do you want to measure in the train or more or less near the rail?   Near the rail I would suggest a geophone (<=4Hz-400Hz)  and a INA217 preamp if needed. BTDT.

Geophones are velocity sensors and have more signal at lower frequencies. Usually all the 'music' is up to 20Hz (if you get close to the rail maybe up to 500Hz) 

And MEMS are noisy .... compared to geophones... you want µg!

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,302 Views)

I want to measure in the train. Range is around 4g. I do not know about sensitivity. A fairly sensitive one would be fine.

Would this be a good choice..

http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Grove_-_3-Axis_Digital_Accelerometer%28%C2%B116g%29

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,275 Views)

Hi,

Have you already a prototyp with this NI6210?

Bias stability as the resolution are highly important for this kind of application.

Have you look after accelerometers that are used for these applications so far, for exemple:

http://www.sens2b-sensors.com/directory/companies/colibrys/item/colibrys-mems-accelerometers-qualifi...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,224 Views)

Hi,

Sorry I have changed the hardware. I will be using sbRIO 9633. Yes, I have looked at these mems railway accelerometers. They will be perfect for my application. I too had decided to use the same. Thank you so much for the link though. This article will be useful for me. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,209 Views)

Thanks, don't hesitate if you have further questions about this technology 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,199 Views)