From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Compact Daq not found

I have a compact daq connected to a remote system.  I have try access this system remotely, but the compact daq is not found.  Why is that? 

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,829 Views)

Hi jyang72211-

I believe you spoke with my colleague about this issue over the phone.  It turns out that you cannot 'find' the cdaq chassis from a remote computer.  You can, however, communicate with it through DAQ OPC servers.  This Tutorial should make it so that you can communicate with your cDAQ chassis on a remote system.

Thanks and have a great day!

Gary P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,801 Views)

I tried that already.  I set up a global virtual channel in MAX on my remote machine, which doesn't have LabVIEW, and I tried to access that channel on my local machine through shared variable. That didn't work. I called again and talked to another engineer, and he said that global virtual channel can only be access locally through LV (not remotely), which I don't have on my remote machine. 

After I set up that global virtual channel on the remote system, I tried to find it on my local machine through shared variable, I couldn't find it.  I can't even find the remote system with the global virtual channel on my local system through shared variable. 

I need some more help.  Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,787 Views)

Hey jyang,

I believe I was the one who spoke with you the other day about this issue. If you would like to talk about it over the phone, give me a call this afternoon at 1-866-275-6964 and enter that service request number we were working on.

From your last post, it sounds like you have the channel set up correctly. If measurement and automation explorer looks like this on the system to which your cDAQ is connected, then you are good to go on that end.

forum1.png

Then, on the client machine (that is, the machine where you want to read/process the data), you need to create a shared variable similar to the configuration below, which binds to the variable being broadcast by your other computer:

forum 2.png

As you can see, I am able to connect to global virtual channels on the computer of my colleagues.

If you are doing these steps above, then it sounds like you are just having connectivity issues with your computers. Are they on the same network? One test to check connectivity is to try to use windows remote desktop to log in to that PC. You can also use the distributed systems manager (start>>programs>>national instruments) to see the data on other computers:

forum3.png

As I said, please give me a call if you keep having trouble.

Thanks,

D Smith

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,764 Views)