cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relay control

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

Was looking for some advice on driving a relay using Digital output from the NI USB 6002.

As I understand from the manual/spec this is an open collector output. Am I correct in thinking each output can only sink 4mA?

My understanding of the open collector output is that I can use an external voltage source ie. 12V connected through an external pull up resistor and sink to ground through the output. However I have to respect the sink current of the open collector output, but this seems low at 4mA.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,773 Views)

You have to respect the transistor that is being used to drive that signal low.  In this case, it is a really small transistor that is rated for 5V and 4mA.

You might want to look at using a USB-6525, which is designed to handle the industrial signal levels.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,754 Views)

Hi,

I'm specifically trying to avoid that solution in this application, thanks for the recommendation though.

If I were to add a relay driver such as the ULN2003 or an opto-isloator maybe I could operate relays this way.

Have you any advice or thoughts on this method?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,749 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hughes265

I have not gone those routes before.  But looking at the data sheet for the ULN2003, it should work just fine for you.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,744 Views)

Thanks for your help.

I have also found a lot now on the forums if searching for NI usb and ULN6003. 

This is indeed the way forward and the solution I require. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,740 Views)

Hi,

I solved with this TOSHIBA Photocoupler 6N139.

Greetings Luca.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,217 Views)