Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raspberry Pi with cDAQ-9178

Hello folks!

at the moment, I am part of a research project in which we measure the power consumption of a machine tool using the cDAQ-9178 in addition with the NI 9225 and NI 9215.

To implement a low cost energy monitoring system, we decided to program a GUI and a specific control logic on a Raspberry Pi. The plan is to get rid of the windows machine running LabView and create a direct connection between the cDAQ and the Raspberry Pi.

Now my question:

Is there any way to create such a connection between the Raspberry Pi and the cDAQ? The DAQmx-driver does not (yet?) exist for the Raspberry, however, there is the community developed driver for the USB-6008. Is there any chance, that using this driver will also work with the cDAQ-9178 or are these two devices so different, that this will not work? At the moment, I am not near the equipment to test it out personally.

I am also in contact with the NI Support. Replied very quickly with quite a good answer, thanks for that! At the moment, it seems that establishing a connection via TCP/IP between LabView and the Raspberry Pi is my best chance of getting this to work. This however, requires the Windows machine running, which defies the hole purpose of a "low cost, low energy consumption Energy Monitoring System".

Since the USB-6008-driver is community-supported, I am turning to you guys. Any ideas on how to approach this problem?

I always assumed, there would be the possibility of sending data via RS232 or USB with a simple 8N1 serial protocol (or similar) from the cDAQ to the Raspberry Pi.

It seems though, that this is not as easy as I assumed.

Thanks!

Hendrik

PS: I crossposted this from one of the NI Lab discussion groups, hope this is okay.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,727 Views)

Hello derhendrik,

there is no Driver Development Kit DDK available for cDAQ so you can not develop your own driver to use the cDAQ directly with the RaspherryPI. The way is to use a windows system and transfer the values to the RaspherryPI over the network.

On the newer RaspherryPi you can install windows, this could be a try, to install there the drivers and the application.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,703 Views)

Hey Duffy! 

Thanks for your answer! Since the Raspberry Pi is based on a whole different processor architecture (ARM chip),  i wont be able to simply install windows applications just because I now have a Windows OS on my Pi. The Windows applications we know are usually compiled for the x86/x62 processor architecture. I believe, that this is also why WindowsRT was discontinued, because you cannot install regular windows applications on this OS / processor architecture.

But I am diverging... 

Anyway, thanks for your help and have a good weekend

Hendrik

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,695 Views)