Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCI 6229 minimum DAQmx requirements

Solved!
Go to solution

I am currently converting our setup to use a PCI 6229 for analog inputs.  We have LABView 7.1 on a Windows XP operating system.  I looked up the latest version of DAQmx that would work with LABView 7.1 and found that it was DAQmx 8.9.  When I run the DAQ Assistant I gen an INITIALIZATION ERROR:

Some components required for editing are missing.  Please contact National Instruments for more information. 

The NI article suggests that I update to the latest driver software, DAQmx 9.3, to fix this problem, however I do not believe this version will work with LABView 7.1. 

Does anyone know if the PCI 6229 will work with DAQmx 8.9?

Will any newer version of DAQmx work with LABView 7.1?

And if there is any other way to fix the DAQ Assistant error?

Thanks Ahead of time,

WindResearcher

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,353 Views)

If you are using LabVIEW 7.1, the most recent version you can use is DAQmx 8.9, so that should work.  DAQmx 8.9 supports the PCI-6229 as well.  Can you run a repair on your driver installation? Sounds like you might have a bad install. Are you able to see and test your device is Measurement and Automation Explorer?

Jon S

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,322 Views)

Hello,

I have since unistalled and then reinstalled DAQmx 8.9 as well as MAX.  I am able to access the properties menu which works with the exception of the power up states tab.   Also I can run the device self test which returns a successful status.  Also device reset works.  However, when I choose the test panels MAX essentially freezes.  I can not do anything within MAX after this point.  If I enter the task manager there is a "nidmfpan" application shown along with the MAX application.  If I end the nidmfpan application I can begin working in MAX again however, I am still unable to run test panels or any of the other previously stated errors.  Also I continue to get the "Initialization Error" if I attempt to create a task.

The suggested solution for this error is to upgrade to the newest version of DAQmx which would require upgrading LABView.  This is not an option because it is my understanding that you need internet for the newest versions of LABView and there currently no internet access at this rather removed location.

Fyi my current software and operating system is:

Windows XP Pro

LABView 7.1

MAX 4.5

DAQmx 8.9

Thanks

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,319 Views)

However, when I choose the test panels MAX essentially freezes.  I can not do anything within MAX after this point.  If I enter the task manager there is a "nidmfpan" application shown along with the MAX application.  If I end the nidmfpan application I can begin working in MAX again however, I am still unable to run test panels or any of the other previously stated errors.

The nidmfpan application is the MAX Test Panels application, which (as others have pointed out, unfortunately) blocks the main MAX application when it's running.

The Test Panels application should appear centered on the MAX window. Does it not appear at all?

[Upgrading LabVIEW] is not an option because it is my understanding that you need internet for the newest versions of LABView and there currently no internet access at this rather removed location.

The need for internet that you state for newer LabVIEW versions (8 and later) is only for activation, and you don't necessarily need internet access to do it; you can activate over phone and fax in addition to e-mail and web.

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
Message 4 of 11
(4,301 Views)

Test Panels does not appear at all.  I have waited for a significant amount of time and still nothing happens.  There are no error messages associated with this problem.  Like I previously pointed out the only time I get an error message is when I try to make a task or use the DAQ assistant .

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,292 Views)

I have looked into what files and applications are actually on the computer associated with the Test Panel application "nidmfpan.exe"h.  When comparing the current computers files to a computer that has the same version of LABView MAX and DAQmx, I found that my current computer is lacking the file nidmfpan.exe.manifest file and the nidmfpan text document.  Would this cause test panels to malfunction.  If so what is the fix?  Can I just copy the file from the other computer onto the current one.  Or is their a way to completely remove the test panels app and reinstall it with all the proper files.  I am assuming based on my past attempts that unnistalling and the reinstalling both MAX and DAQmx 8.9 does no effect the test panels application.

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,256 Views)

I've asked around about this and have a few suggestions.  One thing you could do is get the latest NI-VISA drivers, which would give you the latest version of MAX without updating DAQmx.  Is it possible that at sometime your system was configured for dual monitors, and the test panels could be launching on a monitor that is no longer present?  I'm taking a look into those files, and trying to figure out why they might not be present, and if adding them from another computer would work.  Thanks for your patience with this.

Jon S

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,244 Views)

There is definately not a second monitor setup of the computer.  Also I upgraded to NI VISA 5.0.3 so that I now have MAX 4.7.4.  This did not change anything, I still have the same DAQ assistant error and test panels still does not show up at all.  Do you know where the necessary files for the test panel application come from?  Do these come as part of the DAQmx download and subsequent install?  Is there a seperate download available for the test panel application?  I have brought the computer back to the lab so that I can do a direct download of DAQmx 8.9 right to the computer.  Previously I had brought 8.9 to the computer via flash drive.  I will unistall 8.9 and attempt to reinstall with the newly downloaded version.  Maybe the files were corrupted in the process of transfering from the computer to flash drive and back to another computer.  If this does not work I will move the PCI to another computer running the same setup to check and see if the DAQ card could be at fault.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,225 Views)

Can you try and run test panels from the command prompt?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/9B628A8B1B13136F86256DDB0004DE4D?OpenDocument

From my understanding, test panels are installed with the DAQmx drivers.  There is no separate download available for just test panels.  From my research, the manifest file is just an artifact from the installation of DAQmx, and shouldn't be necessary to run properly.  Please let me know if you are able to get it up an running on a second machine.

When you run test panels, and you can see the process running, if you use alt+tab to scroll between available windows, does it appear there?

Jon

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,204 Views)

I used Run to start the test panel application.  It had similar results to starting it in MAX however, this time it did not make MAX unusable like it usually does.  I then tried the ALT TAB.  During this I had MAX and the task manager open.  The task  manager list MAX as running as well as nidmfpan as running.  When I used ALT TAB the window that appeared only had the symbols for the task manager and MAX and would as a result only allow me to go between the two.  I find this very curious, in the idea that nidmfpan is labeled as running in the task manager but then does not appear when I use ALT  TAB.  The next step for me will be to remove the PCI 6229 from the current computer and put it into another one.  I will update on what happens.

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,188 Views)