From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCB design: DO+AI ground lines?

I'm using a 6221 multi-I/O card (PCI).
I couldn't find anything about the suggested method of connecting the DGND and AIGND lines on the PCB, and which ones to use them..
There's a shielded SCSI cable between the PCB and the PCI card, and nothing else.

Should I connect all the DGND, AIGND lines on the PCB, or only the ones associated with their AI/DO pairs (for example: I'm using the AI0 input belonging to AIGND on PIN67), or maybe it's OK to use only one AIGND and one DGND?

isn't there a risk of building a ground loop, if I connect the DGND and AIGND on my PCB - as they are connected on tha PCI card already?

thanks in advance.
Z.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,842 Views)
Hello ZolkoW,

the DGND and AIGND are all connected to one GND on the NI PCI-6221.
you could only use one AIGND and one DGND

Best regards

Benjamin
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,822 Views)
Thank you for the answer!
I couldn't find anything in the manuals about this.. although I suspected that these GND lines must be connected together at the card.

the PCB is under fabrication now anyway, I connected some GND lines together at the SCSI-68 connector, (for safer connection only) and then routed ONE line to the power supply connector.
(this is the method I used in the past, and it worked - I jus wanted to know if there's any better way)

thank you again!
Z.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,808 Views)