From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI-6001 unable to select channel output

Hi all!

I've recently purchased NI-6001 and I try to generate some pulses with Labview program that works with NI-6361. 

My problem is that I use DAQmx pulse generator and it requires counter which should be counter output. While wiht 6361 I can browse and select ctr from several, with 6001 I cannot find any. 

Could you please help me finding ctr? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,793 Views)

The 6001 has very limited counter functionality.  It has 1 counter that can only count edges -- it cannot generate pulses or pulse trains.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,777 Views)

Oh, that is a major disappointment. Can you recommend the simples (cheapest) NI board that can use counters as 6361 does? I need two outputs that so I can give two different sets of pulses... 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,766 Views)

I'm afraid I don't really know the low-budget product line particularly well.  I'd recommend you call NI Sales and have a conversation about your present needs and any known future ones.  Then you can come back here if you want to double-check the advice you get.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,716 Views)

Okay, NI suggestion was 6210, which is not low-priced one, but if it is indeed the cheapest one, I'll have to take it. 

Do you think that 6210 board gonna work with DAQmx pulse generator? 

Only now I realize that I need to use 2 counter simultaneously in my experiments (two DAQmx pulse generators), what do you think about this board choice? 

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,706 Views)

Hmmm, well, that will depend.  The 6210 is an (older) M-series device that requires 2 counters working together to produce 1 finite pulse train.   If you only need single pulses or continuous pulse trains that you decide when to start and stop via software, I'd think the USB-6210 ought to work. 

On the other hand, if you need to generate 2 distinct pulse trains simultaneously *AND* if either of them need to be finite pulse trains with a very specific total # of pulses, then NO, the USB-6210 won't be a good choice.  The X-series family of MIO boards (63xx) have 4 counters which can each produce finite pulse trains all by themselves.  But it looks like another big $ step up to a USB-6341, the cheapest one in USB.

You might be able to put together a cheaper bare minimum solution via Compact DAQ by pairing a single-slot chassis (containing multiple counters) with a DIO module (which provides a route to connect signals between the internal chassis counters and the outside world).   But bear in mind that a single-slot chassis will have pretty limited capabilities.  You might soon find yourself wishing you had a multi-slot chassis or a "regular" USB MIO board.

I don't know the cDAQ family well enough to give specific recommendations, you may need to make another call to NI to double-check and confirm things.

-Kevin P

Message 6 of 7
(2,698 Views)

It is surprising for me that they have recommended me this board then. Thank you very much for your input, it is actually more valuable then NI assistant input. 

I will keep my research and call them again next Monday. 

I will post as soon as I get something new. 

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,681 Views)