Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect PMT reading

Solved!
Go to solution

I am attempting to read the signal from a Newport 77348 photomultiplier tube. It is connected to a BNC 2110 terminal block which is connected to a PXIe 1073 that then goes to my PC where I have some code to read the input voltage. The PMT seems to work when connected to an oscilloscope (gives a reasonable response when light is shine on it) and the DAQ setup has successfully read off of a photodiode in the past. The issue arises when the PMT's output is fed directly into the DAQ card. When the bias voltage is applied, the DAQ reads a constant -10.2 volts. I wonder if it is an impedance matching issue, but I can't seem to find much information on the input impedance fo the PXIe 1073.

We've also tried routing the PMT through a gated photon counter and a Lock-in amplifier (separately), and that seems to provide some non-static reading. However, we'd like to, if possible, just read the voltage out directly from the PMT, since there are other issues regarding sampling rates with the photon counter and the Lock-in.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(343 Views)

FYI - PXIe 1073 is a chassis and not an instrument. What exact instrument do you connect it to?

Please share full information about the bias voltage, how exactly you wired everything up, what settings you used in the DAQ when configuring the AI, etc.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(318 Views)

Can you supply a schematic for all connections made to the PMT including the DAQ card connections?

EDIT: Just saw Santhosh requested that and additional relevant details.

-AK2DM 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(301 Views)

Hello, thank you for replying! We typically use a bias of 600-800 volts on the PMT (power supply is an SRS PS325 if that's helpful at all). We're trying to wire the PMT to the BNC 2110 with what I assume is a 50 ohm coax into one of the analog inputs. The BNC 2110 is connected to the chassis, there's a crude schematic attached.

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 1.33.19 PM.png

I've been using floating source for the measurement and a differential terminal configuration. I can't seem to use any configuration besides that. I've just been reading the voltage using an express task (10 to -10 V signal range, continuous sampling at a rate of 1k Hz). Let me know if there's any other information I need to provide.

Also apologies if I relay things imprecisely, I'm a first year undergraduate and I don't have a lot of hands on lab experience 😅. Thank you again!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(281 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ouraniamge@gmail.com

If the PMT is expecting 50 ohm termination then you probably have an impedance mismatch feeding it directly to the high input impedance of the DAQ card.

Try putting a 50 ohm resistor across the analog input terminals of the DAQ.

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 5 of 8
(275 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ouraniamge@gmail.com

A 50 Ohm feedthrough or a BNC T with a 50 Ohm termination will do.

Very common DIY are two 100 Ohms SMD parallel  😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 6 of 8
(256 Views)

Thank you AK2DM and Henrik! Things seem to be working now 🙂

Best,

Ourania Glezakou-Elbert

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(245 Views)

Unless you want so measure slow light intensity, you should increase the sample rate.

PMT are fast... See spec of the tube. 😉

If pulse energy is needed (radiation spectra) pulse forming networks are usually involved with slow sample rates.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(191 Views)