cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -201190 self test failed in HP with Windows 7 OS

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

I am facing a self test failure on USB-6218. Initially it is working fine. If you are not accessing the device for some 10 mins then the device will not be accessible. Even i could not reset,self test the device. Both operations are reporting the error.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,020 Views)

Error -201190 is:

Device is currently not usable and must be placed into firmware loader mode.

Unplug the device USB cable and plug it back in. If the device is plugged into a USB hub, ensure that you unplug the device from the hub.

Unplugging the device and plugging it back in should restore it to a working state. However, certainly it shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Are you connecting the USB-6218 into a hub, or directly to your computer? What power management settings do you have enabled?

——
Brandon Streiff
ni.com/compactdaq · ni.com/daq
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,016 Views)
Solution
Accepted by JÞB

This is a common issue that is related to the Win OS power manager and should have a bit more exposure! 

Windows has some default power saving options and "Out-of the box" defaults to waiting 15 minutes for inactivity and then "going green" but shutting down various power hungry features like monitors and USB HUB power.

For bus powered USB devices like a NI-USB 6218 this removes power to the device and it stops working -  if you have an application calling a task using the device you will get errors!  This can cause you much lost time and hair pulling "debugging" your perfectly working application (Of COURSE the OS can't be causing the problem right?

Using the Control Panel you can configure the energy saving profile of the PC ( how about never sleep for high performance machines) and with the device manager you can select the HUB root hubs properties and do not allow windows to shut off power to the hub under the power management tab.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 3 of 4
(3,014 Views)

Now that the contract is complete I just gotta share this part.

While browsing the forums I happened on this thread- Been there - Done that before.  So I passed along my knowledge to the OP.

5 Minutes later the contractor sitting next to me asks the supervisor-  "Do you know anything about windows power options?  there's this guy on the NI forums that thinks it is the OS shutting down the hubs"Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy (guess what: he still doesn't know my name because of a slight language barrier)  You'ld think that after the post AND implementing the Windows power settings to actually fix the issue. I could get the solution checked but no...........Smiley Sad

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 4
(2,881 Views)