Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 200018 using PCI-6259 and Labview 8.5

Greetings --

I am attempting to do some simple 4-channel AO programming in Labview 8.5, using a PCI-6259 card and two BNC-2110 boards.  When I attempt to send a waveform to the analog output, I get weird results as the frequency approaches 1 MHz.  In a very non-deterministic way (i.e. randomly) I am presented with Error 200018 -- at the "Ni-DAQ Wait Until Done" subVI, not the "write" or "start" subVI.  This is the error text:

Measurements: DAC conversion attempted before data to be converted was available.

Decrease the output frequency to increase the period between DAC conversions, or reduce the size of your output buffer in order to write data more often. If you are using an external clock, check  your signal for the presence of noise or glitches.

Task Name: _unnamedTask<8>

I have looked around on the forums for a while, and I found this discussion:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=250&thread.id=41051

The sample file given by RuedigerE (AO_MultiChannel_1MHz_PCI6259.vi) does not run on my machine.  It produces the above-mentioned error.  I followed his advice and upgraded to the newest version of DAQ-MX and it did not solve the problem.

Basically, I want to send a fairly long waveform to the AO.  If the frequency is low-enough (say 100khz) there doesn't seem to be a limit to the number of points I can send.  But, as the frequency approaches 1MHz, the allowable size of the waveform that doesn't cause an error becomes increasingly short,  somewhere around 2000 points (but not 2047 or 2048 ... sometimes 2077 works, sometimes it doesn't ...sometimes 2091 works, etc..)

Any help would be greatly apprecaited,

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,064 Views)

Hi Paul,

can you tell us details about your PC (special the Motherboard)? We know similiar issues with Intel D955XBK Mainboards. If you have this Mainboard or a Mainboard with the same chipset, a BIOS update could resolve the issue.

hope this helps

Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,033 Views)

Tobias -

After much searching, I cannot figure out which motherboard I have.  I can tell you that the computer is a Dell Precision T5400 with an Intel Xeon QuadCore processor running at 2.66 GHz.  Unfortunately, the type of motherboard is not listed in the specifications that came with the computer, nor could I find it on the Dell website, nor could I find it by inspecting the motherboard itself.

Thanks for the response!

-paul

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,027 Views)

I just wanted to post some more info so this thread doesn't get lost before my problem is resolved.

The issue really seems to be related to the way that the physical buffer is updated by LabView.  If I adjust the advanced channel properties of the AO and I change the Data Transfer Requisition Condition to "Onboard Memory Half Full", I can acheive much higher frequency ouptut than without (roughly 500kHz versus something like 100kHz).  Similarly, selecting "Interrupt" instead of "DMA" for "Data Transfer Mechanism" seems to improve the performance.

At any rate, the main point is that the problems I am seeing are non-deterministic.  Sometimes it outputs, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it reports an error, sometimes not.  Thus, it really suggests to me that this is a software issue or at least a software/hardware interface issue and thus something that should be easily solveable.

I will try updating the bios on the motherboard (I believe it is a D5400XS, after further research), but I seriously doubt that it is out of date as the latest update is from before I bought the computer.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,011 Views)

Just bumping this message as it has dropped off of the front page with no real response from NI.  To summarize: the model code given by an engineer in a previous form thread which is supposed to work on all PCI-6259 boards absolutely, positively does not run on my computer.  Thus, the board does not meet spec and is either broken, defective, or poorly designed.  Please assist.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,981 Views)

NI -

Please respond to this inquiry.  If there is any further information I can provide, let me know what it is.  If there is a more appropriate forum or way to communicate, please let me know.  It has now been a week since my initial request and I have gotten only the slightest glimmer of a response.  I would hardly say that NI has made a good-faith effort to respond to my problem.

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,963 Views)

Paul,

i would not eliminate the option that there is something wrong with your board. In this case we can double check it by send you a test device. For this service you have to contact your local NI Office - where are you come from?

Did you tried the Self check in MAX? Which DAQmx Version are you using?

Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,958 Views)

Tobias -

Thanks for the response.  I am using DAQ-MX 8.7.1 and the board passes the self-test.

According to the Dell BIOS update page, my motherboard has the latest bios version as well.

Is it worthwhile to try switching the board into a different computer?   Or switching which PCI slot the board is in?

I am currently in Switzerland.

Cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,956 Views)

Paul,

it would be definitely worht a try to try the card in a other PCI Slot and in another PC (not the same model).

You mentioned before that you tried the example from RuedigerE, can you tell me in which VI the error occures in this example?

regards,

Tobias

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,940 Views)

Tobias -

Thank you again for your input.  The error in RuedigerE's code occurs at the "Wait Until Done" VI, just as it does in all of my other code.

I will look around the lab for other computers in which to test the board.  I will report the results.

Cheers,

Paul

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,938 Views)