From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data bandwidth

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm looking at two Ethernet cdaq chassis connected together, one 4 slot cDAQ-9185 and one 8 slot cDAQ-9189. Was looking at populating them with NI-9234. My quick less educated crude calcs show the bandwidth should be enough to capture 48x channels (12 slots with 4 channels each module) @ 24 bit and 51.2kHz? Although I've likely made some mistakes.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,069 Views)
Solution
Accepted by PeterBrown

You're in the right ballpark for a raw calculation.  I'm assuming the 24-bit samples will be carried in a 32-bit integer though, which brings the bandwidth demand up to almost 80 Mbps.  If you're on a 100 Mbps connection, that may be too high a %age of the theoretical max to count on.  Others can probably comment with more complete knowledge.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,053 Views)
Solution
Accepted by PeterBrown

Related article to calculate bandwidth - https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019QYVSA2&l=en-US

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 3 of 4
(1,046 Views)

Thanks. That example in the link was for the same model of module so good to validate my rough calc

Which yes I only used 24 bit.. So explains why it was even more comfortable. I'll mostly be using them plugged into a gig ethernet port.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,014 Views)