From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Acquisition using hydrophone

I have PCI-6111E and a hydrophone from PCB Piezotronics (data sheet attached). I want to measure pressure inside water cntained in a beaker. Can someone guide me that how do I start in order to get data by using Labview??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,184 Views)

You have an ICP Sensor that need a current drive.

You apply a current of about 4mA with a maximum Voltage of  30V (24V is a common value). The voltage across the sensor will have a DC bias of about 10V and the AC according to the sensitivity.

Basically you need a 24V source ( 2x 9V Blocks normally also work, even if they supply only 18V), a 'current diode' (resistor and FET) and a C to cut off the bias, (followed by a bufferamplifier)

All this can be build in in another DAQ board (your 6115 doesn't seems to support that) or can be purchased by the various sensor manufacturers (IEPE,ICP,Deltatron .... sensor conditioner/amplifier)

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,161 Views)

Can you guide me about scaling the signal for converting voltage to pressure. On the attached spec sheet they are giving measurement range for "plus minus 5 VDC" 6895 KPa. I guess plus 5VDC is for 6895 KPa (what is the lower pressure corresponding to -5 VDC)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,139 Views)

Do you have a current exitation for your sensor??

You will only measure something meaningful if you have a current exitation according to the specifications you posted.

For the scaling: this can be done in your sorftware ( pressure = <sensitivityfactor> * <voltage read> ) or your DAQmx driver does it for you. Just open the DAQ assistant 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,132 Views)

Thanks for your help. Yes I have a device for excitation of the sensor (made by IED Hamburg). Please see the attached sheet

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,108 Views)