From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Acquisition Upgrade

Solved!
Go to solution

My company is currently updating a test fixture with a newer computer. This new computer has different pci slots so we will need to upgrade some additional equipment. It currently uses a PCI-GPIB and a PCI-6229. The new computer has no PCI slots and instead has one PCI express x16 and three PCI express x1 slots. I have been looking at the PXI-6229 but I do not think it will be possible to fit this to our computer, so maybe the USB-6229 would be the best option. I was also thinking that the PCIe-GPIB should be a suitable replacement for the PCI-GPIB. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could verify the viability of these options or tell me what a better option might be, thank you!

Picture of the computer included just in case.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,525 Views)

My company is currently updating a test fixture with a newer computer. This new computer has different pci slots so we will need to upgrade some additional equipment. It currently uses an SD-PCI-2S and a PCI-6229. The new computer has no PCI slots and instead has one PCI express x16 and three PCI express x1 slots. I have been looking at the PXI-6229 but I do not think it will be possible to fit this to our computer, so maybe the USB-6229 would be the best option. Also I have an extra PCI-Express Multi I/O Controller card by Iocrest that I think should replace the SD-PCI-2S. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could tell me if these are viable replacements or what I should use instead. Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,522 Views)

Hi Glentek,

You are correct in thinking that the PXI card will not fit into a slot for a PCIe card. This is because a PXI uses parallel communication while a PCIe card uses serial. Here is some more documentation on that:

Installing and Configuring PCI/PCI Express and PXI/PXI Express DAQ Devices:

http://www.ni.com/getting-started/set-up-hardware/data-acquisition/pci-pxi

A USB-6229 device may be the best option, but it depends on the application. I would recommend giving a call to our sales engineers as they are best equipped to give you advice on what product would be best suited for your application. They are here to help you succeed so please don't hesitate to call them! 

Here is the information on how to contact them: http://us.ni.com/contacts

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,454 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Glentek

Can't comment on the Iocrest card, never heard of it.

For GPIB, a PCI-express card should act as a drop-in replacement without issue.  There's a good chance a USB-based GPIB interface would be sufficient, in case that's a desirable option for you.

For the NI multifunction card, a USB-based device may *not* be a suitable replacement, depending on the app(s) you need to run.  USB has trouble with apps that demand low latency, high bandwidth, or frequent fast task interactions (such as stop/start, reconfig, etc.).

There will be a suitable PCIe X-series board in the 63xx family of products that'll be a simple drop-in replacement for your PCI M-series 6229 board.  Exactly which one depends on which features and specs from the old board need to be supported in the new one.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,451 Views)