From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx execution speed

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm programming a simple control application in C under Windows, with NI-DAQmx and Visual Studio. Using a USB-6003, the software reads a single value on each of 3 analog voltage inputs, does a bit of calculation and then writes a single value on each of 2 analog voltage outputs, the whole thing in an endless loop.

The excecution time for the calculation, loop overhead and everything else is just a few tens of microseconds. But the DAQmxReadAnalogF64 and DAQmxWriteAnalogF64 commands are taking around 1 millisecond each to execute - which is about 5x slower than I need it to be. I am using DAQmxStartTask before entering the loop.

Is this the best I can do with this hardware, or am I missing something? If the former is true, what direction should I go in to get these analog reads and writes running faster?

Thanks in advance!  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,967 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DavidMoss

It seems that you are performing some sort of control, that should run live. Normally in this case, one needs a Chassis, like a cRIO or PXI, because they are equiped with controller hardware, on which the VI's run.

With a low cost USB device, calculation and VI execution will take place on your computer in Windows. This means that data is  acquired, sent over USB (which is not real-time capable) to the computer, perform calculations and then send some data back to the device for generating outputs. I have tried something similar with a USB-6211 and couldn't get the loop rate lower than 10ms I remember.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,939 Views)

Great, thanks, that helps a lot. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,932 Views)