Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Solenoid Valve to NI DAQ

I am using the National Instruments USB-6002. I have a 2-way solenoid valve and I am trying to gain control of it. I am wondering how I would implement my DAQ board and LabView to figure out how to control when the solenoid valve opens and closes. What are some steps I can take to achieve this? I have read that I would have to set up a boolean value to automate this. Any suggestions/ guidance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,819 Views)

First, be carefull connecting the solenoid valve, you should not connect it directly to one DIO lines of the USB-6002, use an isolator like a optoisolator or a SSR so that if there is a short circuit on the solenoid side your DAQ card is safe, besides I don't think the USB-6002 is capable of driving a solenoid valve.

Second, I suggest you to go to the LabVIEW forum and on the top you'll find "NI Learning Center", once you've gone trought the courses build a vi and if you have a problem come back and ask more specific questions.

Antoniooh_0-1656504643173.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,783 Views)

Thanks for the reply. Just out of my own curiosity, what would make you think that the USB-6002 would not be able to controll a solenoid valve?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,778 Views)

Just the voltage and current levels, like how one would not expect a Tesla car to run on AA batteries.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 11
(1,772 Views)

Come on Santhosh, get with the times 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AlndKQSs6Q

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,767 Views)

@AK2DM

Ha ha, looks like they are indeed next-generation cars that run on "AA" batteries - LOL

The highlight of the commercial is the final statement - "batteries not included"

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,762 Views)

Very much enjoyed the jokes! Nevertheless, what about the DAQ board that makes it incompatible with my solenoid valve. The solenoid valve and the coil connector is 120V. If this is still the case, which DAQ board would be best for a project like this.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,753 Views)

You can still use this DAQ board, you'll just need a circuit in between the digital output and the solenoid valve.

I would use an optocoupler that drives either a mechanical or solid state relay.

Message 8 of 11
(1,746 Views)

@Antoniooh wrote:

You can still use this DAQ board, you'll just need a circuit in between the digital output and the solenoid valve.

I would use an optocoupler that drives either a mechanical or solid state relay.

Like @Antoniooh described, we don't say that you cannot use the DAQ board to control solenoids, just that it cannot do it on its own. You need the DAQ board to control a low voltage/current device such as SSR (solid state relay) or Electromechanical relay or Optocoupler which in turn handles the 120V to control your Solenoid.

DAQ output -> SSR / Relay / Optocoupler -> 120V Solenoid

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,743 Views)

So would I have to make a breadboard that contains the optocoupler and connects to the DAQ?

Right now I have this setup that does not use the DAQ board. Here I am using a 4-channel relay, an Arduino, and a breadboard with a 5v converter. My issue is trying to figure out how to connect the 120V solenoid to the system? Any thoughts on how this can be done?

Solenoid Wiring.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,684 Views)