cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CompactDAQ Controllers

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a question concerning the CompactDAQ Controllers. Is it possible to access it remotly via internet connection?

Also is it start program run after the power is ON or should the user switch in manually? Is it possible to setup to do it automatically?

If it is the wrong board, please recommend where I can ask this from?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,784 Views)

@AnaKra wrote:

Hello,

I have a question concerning the CompactDAQ Controllers. Is it possible to access it remotly via internet connection?

Also is it start program run after the power is ON or should the user switch in manually? Is it possible to setup to do it automatically?

If it is the wrong board, please recommend where I can ask this from?

Thank you!

Have you looked at the NI information for this type of equipment?  http://www.ni.com/data-acquisition/compactdaq/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,756 Views)

Hello,

Yes I did. Concerning the remote control I found that it possible.

But still the open question is "Also is it start program run after the power is ON or should the user switch in manually? Is it possible to setup to do it automatically?"

If possible please give a straight-forward answer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,750 Views)

@AnaKra wrote:

Hello,

But still the open question is "Also is it start program run after the power is ON or should the user switch in manually? Is it possible to setup to do it automatically?"

I am not understanding this question.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,742 Views)

Hi AnaKra,

I'm also having a bit of a trouble to understand the question, but I assume that it's about being able to acquire data and configure the device over an ethernet cable (either directly or through a switch).

To do that, you have to use the NI MAX software. It must be manually started to find your device, unless you want to start it at a specific time (such as during Windows start-up, etc.)

If you do not have the NI MAX installed, try downloading one of the drivers (for example the DAQmx driver). When installing the driver, the installer will also prompt you to install the NI MAX software.

Does this answer your question?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,699 Views)

Hi,

Sorry that my question is unclear. I will try to explain in example. 

My compactDAQ controller is somewhere 100km away from me controlling some system, and I am following the process remotely. For some reason, compactDAQ power goes down (so the device becomes OFF), but then power comes back. When the power is ON again, does compactDAQ resume automatically, or is it needed to press power button to switch it on (which is not possible to do as I am 100km away)?

Hopefully that clarifies my question...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,694 Views)

Aha, I see!

First of all, what kind of CompactDAQ Controller do you use? As far as I know, not all CompactDAQ devices have a power button, thus they should start automatically when it receives power.

Second, by "resume" do you mean "continue to acquire data (f.ex. in a LabVIEW application or VI)" or simply "resume remote contact with device"?

Regardless, I would advice to use a static IP address for the CompactDAQ so that it doesn't change every time it restarts.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,684 Views)

I do not yet use any device but considering options. cDAQ-9132 (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/fi/nid/212698) is the option at the moment.

By 'resume' I mean at leaset that I have a remote access to the device- ten I can start VI running manually. Of course it is ideal if the program starts acquiring data automatically as well, if it is possible.

Thanks, I also had a plan on static IP.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,682 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AnaKra

Sorry about the late reply. I just thought I'd do some testing on a cDAQ-9139 here in the office (since we do not have a 9132 here).

I found that if I disconnected the power from the chassis while it was running (windows in my case), and then reconnected the power, the chassis automatically restarted again. So, it would seem (from this one test) that you wouldn't have to travel the 100km to only press the power button. If you enable a VI or LabVIEW application file to open during start-up of the OS installed on the standalone cDAQ, it should be able to begin data acquisition automatically.

However, I feel I should note that repeated sudden power drops can damage the power supply in the chassis. Thus, I would recommend using an Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) that changes to a battery power if the source suddenly drops. Not only would it protect your device better, but it also means that any operation that is already running on the cDAQ would not be interrupted.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,672 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your detailed response. That answered my questions 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,656 Views)