Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program a 3 axis position movement

I have a motion controller from Nationa Aperture Inc., Model MC-CQ-4X, which controls the position movement of X-Y-Z axis. First I'm not sure if I need a driver from this manufacture, if I do , I have not located one from the list. I have very little experience with labview and need a startup process in the block diagram. There are 3 comm ports for each axis.  So, how do I setup the labview program to control movement of each axis. Please send an example setup program showing the block diagram setup.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,666 Views)

Hi MR2SAILOR,

Can you provide more specific information on exactly what you're trying to do? How does the controller connect to your computer?  Does it expect serial commands?

Michael B.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,656 Views)

Each axis of the table is seperately connected to an axis serial port in the motion controller, which  is connected to a USB hub converter known as Edgeport, from there a USB cable is connected to the computer. Now I have been looking at examples from the example finders in LabVIEW, but have not found one that shows me a program to initate postion movements for each axis (X-Y-Z). I see that I need a VISA instrument driver function first in the program, but what about the rest of it. I am at a standstill cause I have no clue which functions to use to complete this type of program. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,648 Views)

Hi MR2SAILOR,

Thanks for the additional information.  It sounds like you'll need to treat this more like an instrument driver issue than a motion control issue.  I searched on our Instrument Driver Network (ni.com/idnet) and I didn't find anything from that manufacturer.  Have you tried contacting National Aperture to see if they have an instrument driver available?  I looked around a bit on their website and it seems like they intend for people to use their products with LabVIEW. 

To clarify, do you have NI-VISA installed?

Michael B.
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,640 Views)